Plate solve issues with Planewave L500

Hello!

I have a Planewave L500 mount. Sgpro slews to the target fine. When it plate solves, using plate solve 2 (a Planewave product) it shows an error of anywhere from 30 to 150 pixels but will not move the mount at all to center (correct the error). I have the pixel error box set to 10 pixels (below 30-150). It takes another sub and shows the same error over and over and ends up aborting after my pre set 3 tries. Obviously if I set the pixel error to, let’s say 200 it shows success, but the image is not centered. Any ideas? Thanks…

@Astrohawk

My imaging buddy has a PW L-350 mount running in alt-az mode. We discovered that centering attempts using nuding failed as the PWI4 software (ASCOM interface) does not support centering via nudging (ASCOM MoveAxis() command). It also does not support centering via sync’s since that would mess up your pointing model. So, AFAIK, you can’t implement a centering routine on that mount.

If the mount is in equatorial mode, it might be different and nudging might be supported. However, I believe all PW mounts rely on a pointing model and centering via sync’s would probably not be supported.

Charlie

I also have the L500 mount in Alt/Az configuration but my SGP is solving fine. Which version of PWI4 are you running? I only have issues platesolving the rotation but this is another topic in this forum still not addressed by the developers.
Dietmar

@dloy

Plate solving is not a problem. The issue is that you can’t use the plate solved data to perform a centering routine since the PW mount can’t be nudged or sync’d.

However, the PW mount could be centered using “offset slew” – that is, plate solve to get actual RA/DEC values. Compute the offset needed to move the scope to the target. For example, the scope is pointing 1° north of the target coordinates. So you tell the scope to slew to a point that is 1° south of the target coordinates. This moves the scope 1° south and centers on the target.

SGPro supports “Target Offset” and “Scope Offset” in its “Sync Behavior” option. You would need to research what those options do to determine if one will work for you.

Charlie

Target Offset works fine for me.
Dietmar

Yes, doing a small slew will work. The mount is fantastically accurate on small slews.