Platesolve 3

Just further to my previous message about PS3. Had a short clear spell to do a test “on the run”. When the I send the scope to center on target…PS3 as the plate solver works fine. It will platesolve the image direct from the camera and put the scope on target as expected. However - if I then right click on the plate solve image on the desktop, PS3 fails to solve it even though it had done so direct from the camera. At this stage - changed over to ASTAP and it plate solved the image on the desktop.
Likewise PS3 would not recenter to a selected star on the desktop image whereas ASTAP would.
It appears when SGP actually saves the image something is amiss between SGP and PS3 with regard to the saved Header. (Maybe it is my computer…I have no idea.) Link to the “on the run” image I did a short while ago…if you wish to look at the Header info.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtJt1OQNx5vWj0fHhGrshU6ahRBM?e=SFhHXM

I ran into this error as well, what I had to do is copy all the files in the Platesolve 3.80 folder (not the catalog folders)
into the SGP folder located at:
C: Program files/ Sequence Generator Pro 64 bit

I copied the original SRSLib.DLL file from that location and pasted it onto my desktop before overwriting it just in case but both Platesolve 2 and platesolve 3 worked with the new DLL file.

I have not tried any centering action yet as my telescope is not set up. but it plate solves with previously acquired images without the error messages.

Thanks for that idea re copying files over to SGP directory. I can get around to doing that later today if another option does not work for me. When I woke up this morning, it hit me that my Obs computer (Gaius) is in Spanish Language and perhaps the FITS headers are written with comma (,) rather than stop (.) between the digits. I will check that first - less invasive - before trying your solution. Either way - I hope that I can come back within 18 hours to update the thread, especially if I found one or other of the above worked.

Well…I just had to go for it. My Fits headers were OK - that was not the problem. I tried your solution - copying files to the SGP folder and it worked just fine. (I now have all working, PS3, PS2, ASTAP and even the local & remote astrometry.net).
Thanks very much for your input on this…very much appreciated and I am sure this will help others too.

Thanks for letting us know. The SRSLib.dll file we use is pretty old. I’ll see about updating it in the installer so that you don’t need to do that every time you update SGPro

Also… in the very near future, I think I will alter the PlateSolve 2 and 3 integrations such that SGPro no longer distributes them. With PS2 it was just a convenience since it really never changed. With PS3, at the time of implementation, was not downloadable so we added it. It is easier for everyone if we just allow you to install the one you want and point to it.

Sounds good Ken :+1:

No time like the present I suppose. I spent a couple hours today retooling SGPro to use PlateSolve 2 and 3 and not distribute them. I am still figuring out how to transition existing sequences, but in any case you’ll need PlateSolve 2 and or 3 installed AND you’ll need to tell SGPro where you have installed them (usually in your equipment profile, but can be in the sequence too). Other than this, there aren’t any remarkable changes.

Please see here for more info regarding these changes:

IMPORTANT! SGPro 4.3 and PlateSolve 2 and 3 - Sequence Generator - Main Sequence Software (sequencegeneratorpro.com)

So, this explains why I had to re-copy the files after the latest update.

You’re welcome, Kinch. I’m glad I was able to help.Hopefully the centering will work as well.

This will need to be done after the next Beta release, correct?

Correct. Anything after 4.3.0.1223 will no longer ship with PlateSolve apps. SGPro will tell you if your sequence uses a PlateSolve solver and will fail during a sequence because it doesnt know where to find it. Should be no surprises there…

All the details for PlateSolve3 will be in the help file. A preview of the yet unreleased help file is here:

1 Like