IMPORTANT! SGPro 4.3 and PlateSolve 2 and 3

SGPro 4.2 currently distributes PlateSolve 2 and 3. There is something to be said for distributing dependencies you are certain work well in your product, but we’ve decided to back off here and let you choose which solvers you want to install. Beyond installing the solvers manually, you’ll only need to tell SGPro where you have installed them. Full details are in the SGPro 4.3 help file.

This change is present in version of SGPro 4.3 AFTER 4.3.0.1223

SGPro needs you to tell it where you have installed PlateSolve 2 and / or 3 via the menu, Tools > Options, then select the External Apps tab.

if you want to get a start on prepping for this change, here is the new help file for PlateSolve3 that will be in the next 4.3 beta release:

Install It

SGPro is compatible with both PlateSolve2 and PlateSolve3, but it no longer distributes either of them.This means that you are still able to use either, but you must install them separately and then tell SGPro where you have installed them.

Before you proceed, go ahead and go to PlaeWave’s website and doanload the latest version of PlateSolve3. At the time of this writing, PlateSolve3 has not been made as publicly available for user download and the best method to get PlateSolve3 is via Dropbox here.

After installing PlateSolve3 (which is done simply by extracting the files contained within the downloaded zip to any non-protected area of your disk), you’ll need to let SGPro know where you’ve placed it. Using the menu, navigate to Tools > Options. Then, click on the “External Apps” tab and move to the bottom of the form to the PlateSolve 2 and 3 area. Make sure that the option for PlateSolve3 is selected (and not PlateSolve2). Click on the “Browse” button and then, using the provided folder selector, choose the folder in which the PlateSolve3.X.exe and SRSLib.dll files are located.

Important!!!

Depending on your security settings in Windows, you may be required to allow the newly downloaded SRSLib.dll and PlateSolve3.X.exe to run. By default, files downloaded from the internet and not installed with a trusted installer are marked as “blocked”. To unblock PlateSolve3, simply navigate to the PlateSolve3 folder in WIndows File Explorer, and then, for both files, right click and select “Properties”. Finally, near the bottom, tick the box that reads “Unblock” and click “Apply”.

Note: If you don’t have an “Unblock” option visible, it simply means the file is not blocked and you’re ready to go.

Right-click to get:

Then:

Configure It

After install, PlateSolve3 Setup is fairly straightforward. To use it as your plate solver you will need one (or more) star catalogs. If you used the link above, then you already have both the “Kepler” and “UD” Catalogs available to you. If you installed PlateSolve3 a using a different method, you can get catalogs for it here on PlaneWave’s downloads page.

In the resultant dialog, simply choose the folder of the catalog that you’d like to use:

Setting the catalog for an equipment profile is very similar. Open the Equipment Profile Manager, select a profile to edit (or make a new one), click on the “Plate Solve” tab, select “PlateSolve3” and then click on the “Settings” button. In the resultant dialog, simply choose the folder of the catalog that you’d like to use:

If 4.3.0.1223 already has Platesolve 3 and catalogs installed, will the next release remove them to start over?

Mike

No, SGPro won’t remove anything you have installed. It just doesn’t ship with the PlateSolve2 or 3 apps any longer.

Hi Ken,

Is there a link available for PlateSolve3 executable we can use? I can only find the two downloads for the catalogs on the PlaneWave site.

Mike

Hi Ken, Something amiss with 4.3.0.1244 and PS3.

I have PS3 installed separately and pointed the latest release to the folder containing PS3. When I went to test on an image (in fact 2 images from two separate targets) it appeared at first to work…until I looked at the numbers…
Capture
Capture2

I’m seeing the same PS3 solve issue too. But a blind solve will report the correct values.
If I open up the PS3 interface and solve the same FIT image, I get the correct values.

Mike

I can’t produce any behavior like that. Anything odd in the logs?

Hi Ken,

Just uploaded the log as a support case in SGP Support.

Mike

I’m getting the same results after I instant the latest beta update. It was working great just minutes before I updated.

Ok, Thanks. I located thand fixed the issue. A new beta is rolling out now.

Works correctly now.
Thanks for a quick turnaround!

Mike

1 Like

Thanks - yes, issue resolved very quickly :+1:

1 Like

It is working for me now as well.
Thank you so much for the quick repair, Ken.

Harvey.

1 Like

Just an observation - I think this is as good a thread as any to write down what i found out last night:
I am happy that I have PS3 working fine for actually doing a solve and placing my scope in position. I am also happy that PS2, ASTAP and Astrometry (local & remote) also work just fine. I was doing some tests last night on speed and full functionality of each - basically passing some time until my target came high enough. I found that with all, other than PS3, I can right click on an image and have the scope “center here”. For some reason, with PS3, the chosen spot (star) ends up in the top left corner when the confirmation image is downloaded to the screen. All other plate solvers mentioned above, put the chosen spot (star) in the center as expected.
I don’t know if this is just on my set up (maybe something not actually set up correctly) or whether it is something else that is evident to other users. I would be interested to hear - I am now curious about this. (It is not a big deal for me - I now have ASTAP chosen as the primary solver anyway).

Ok, thanks for the report. We may be misinterpreting the “flipped” solve flag for PS3. FOr most cases, misinterpreting this does not matter because we only care about the center. In this case, we need this to work properly. Any chance it looks like it goes the correct distance, but in a flipped (opposite usually on X) direction?

When I get a chance Ken I will do some further testing to clarify that for you. May or may not be tonight…not sure whether to open up or not yet…it is very humid just now.

@Ken …just did some visual checks when I opened up. No matter what star I picked on the image in front of me, when I told PS3 to “Center Here” it put it in the very top left hand corner without exception. It appears to PS3 that the center is a position 0,0. (I am not sure if 0,0 is the correct term here)…but anyway Very Top Left each & every time.
Perhaps someone else can check this behavior (to prove it is not just me)…I would hate you too waste any time on this if is perhaps my error somewhere.

ok, great, thx for the info. I will investigate here shortly.

Regarding the above issue.

Any info on this issue? Last weekend I had this same problem. PS 3 had no problem solving any images but could not center a star when selecting CENTER HERE. It would put it nowhere close to center yet claim it was within the amount of error (40 pixels). I switched over to Plate Solve 2 and everything worked properly.