Preparing SGP for disconnected from internet usage

When I use SGP from a location where I have internet access I can setup a sequence by clicking on tools/framing & mosaic wizard. That allows me to to select an object, click on Fetch, and it will produce an image of the object where I can frame what I want for the sequence. But if I am disconnected from the internet I can’t do that. Can I collect whatever I need from the internet, copy it to my AP computer (maybe in some database?) and then use it while disconnected from the internet?

I set up sequences using the framing and mosaic wizard from home. I just use the equipment profile that I will be using and also set the location to where I will be. I have had a couple issues doing it this way as the telescope would slew to the wrong place but I’m not sure if I did something wrong or SGP did something wrong.

Also, I believe SGP stores a cache of framing and mosaic searches so you can do the search when you have internet and re-search out in the field and it should bring them up.
I just tried it with my laptop in airplane mode and it worked. There is a drop down arrow to the right of the “object” search bar, click on it and it will bring up a history of your searches.

I have also enabled mobile hotspot on my phone, connected the laptop to it and used my cell for the framing and mosaic out in the field. It takes longer as my signal is pretty low where I go but it works.

The answers @TheHarvester gave are correct, but just for posterity, validation:

• SGPro needs a single internet connection to activate. Afterward, it can open and function without an internet connection.
  • In terms of prep, MFW is not the only thing that uses an internet connection, but is probably the most common. SGPro does indeed cache working canvases for the MFW so if you have advance knowledge of potential target areas, you can fetch them in advance and then load them later to draw your target areas.
  • The other consideration may or may not be of concern to you, but it deals with the secondary (backup) solver. If you use it, the default is set to Astrometry.net. It is possible to carry Astrometry with you and run it offline using ANSVR though (it’s often a good idea even when you do have an internet connection… you can make it MUCH faster).

So, ANSVR gives you a local database for blind plate solving. So, there is no equivalent local DB for Framing and Mosaic Wizard? So, if you are a remote site and you decide to image an object that you didn’t preload with FMW, you are SOL?

Unfortunately this is no offline equivalent for the Framing and Mosaic Wizard as that would literally be multiple terabytes of data. Your best option would be to use a planetarium either on your phone or PC and send those coordinates to SGP.

Jared

This is what I do as well if my F&MW didn’t get done or I decide to change targets. Between The Sky X and Stellarium, I will find a target, frame it where I want and the copy the coordinates into the target fields or just have The Sky X slew the telescope to the desired location (The latest stellarium doesn’t seem to want to play well when connected to my telescope). If I want more than one target, I will then take a frame and focus image, (make sure save to disk is checked), verify the framing and adjust if needed then plate solve the image. When finished, click on " Use these results as the reference image for target". Then make sure Slew to and center target is checked in the target properties. I’ll do the same If I want another target then continue with the rest of the setup.

Stellarium is a free planetarium program that works well but, as I said, it doesn’t play nice when connected to my telescope. I could set up a Telescope simulator so I can copy the coordinates then paste them into the appropriate fields for the target, but I prefer the slew to and plate solve method to verify the framing though.