Problem starting WiFi Scope under Win10

Guys,
confused having just read that WiFi Scope works fine under Win10: since upgrading, I’ve been having to run WiFi Scope straight from the downloaded archive, rather than uncompressing a copy first, otherwise, I get the icon appear on the bar, but no window opens, and if I hover over the icon, I see what looks like the outline of the main dbox, but with an active input box being the only thing shown within this outline, and no way to get it to actually open the main window. Even running from the archive only works maybe 1 in 5 times, but tonight, I just can’t get it to start at all (I think windows has recently done an update).

Any suggestions gratefully received, since I’d love to do some imaging…

Thanks for a wonderful bit of software - I love it.

Ya, I think something happened with a recent update. I was running it just a couple of weeks ago but tonight I have the same issue as you describe here. And WiFi Scope hasn’t changed in over a year.

I’ll look into it and see what might be causing this.

Not sure if you also use SGP, but SGP also has the “WiFi Scope” capability built in.

Thanks,
Jared

So it appears to be angry about running from a location like your Desktop. Try copying it into the root of your C:\ (or pretty much any non-user directory) and creating a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Running it from C:\ is working for me, but running it from my desktop breaks. I’ll look into creating a proper installer to address this.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks, Jared, I’ll give this a try, and let you know…

Hi, Jared, I’ve just tried your suggestion, but it only helped the first time I ran it: I then had to reboot, due to a software update, and when I tried again, 10/10 tries produced the icon with what looks like the input field only, and no main window, as before.
I tried moving it to another non-desktop directory (C:\Utils), but that didn’t help - it used to live here.
I went back to trying running direct from the download archive, first time failed 3 attempts, so I tried another copy of the archive, and it ran first time from there.

Hard to see a pattern, but running from a new location seems to increase the chances of success.

I did try firing it up under the VS 2013 community edition debugger once, a while back, and it gave some message about a .Net fault, but I didn’t keep the details.

Hi All -

Was there ever a resolution to this? I’m running Windows 10 on an Intel Compute Stick (CS-125) and an Explore Scientific G-11 PMC-8 with the PMC8 ASCOM driver in serial mode (connecting via the serial port rather than over Wifi).

I’ve tried copying the executable to the C:\ root, C:\users<username>, and a few other places, but the application crashes regardless of where it resides.

I dug through the event log and found the the entries listed at the end of this post.

WiFi Scope works with the Celestron ASCOM Driver and the simulator, but crashes when trying to connect to the PMC8 Driver. I realize that this is more of a question for the ES folks, and I’ve queried them as well. I’m posting this here in hopes that more eyeballs on the problem will produce a resolution more quickly.

Separate question…I thought I saw a comment in a thread somewhere that the WiFi scope functionality is built in to SGP. Can someone point me to where I might find that? I’m using SGP 2.6.025 currently.

-Steve

Application: WiFiScope.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: ASCOM.Utilities.Exceptions.InvalidValueException
at ASCOM.Utilities.Serial.set_Connected(Boolean)
at ASCOM.ES_PMC8.Telescope.set_Connected(Boolean)

Exception Info: ASCOM.DriverException
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(System.String, System.Exception)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.SetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(System.String, System.Exception)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32, System.String, System.Type[], System.Object[])
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.AscomDriver.set_Connected(Boolean)
at WiFiScope.Form1.ConnectTel()
at WiFiScope.Form1.listen(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 5/17/2018 1:04:44 PM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: ASTROSTICK
Description:

at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(System.String, System.Exception)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.SetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(System.String, System.Exception)
at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32, System.String, System.Type[], System.Object[])
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
ASTROSTICK

Sounds like this is a different issue than the OP was having as WiFi Scope wasn’t even starting for him.

Try connecting it in SGP and see what happens. SGP has a lot more logging so we can track it down there.

You can also attach the wifi scope log (in your Documents folder) and I can take a look.

It’s in the telescope control panel:

Thanks,
Jared