Problem with SGP plate solving - newbie

While trying my first plate solve to Center Scope on my target, the plate solve failed giving me the following dialog:

I don’t understand why the Step 1 plate solve worked, while the Step 3 Plate Solve did not.

I don’t have a clue as to how to debug this. Where do I start?

I how the image copied correctly to this posting.

My setup is: Losmandy GM8 Geminii 2; Celestron EdgeHD 8; ZWO ASI1600MM;

Hi,

I suspect Platesolve2 didn’t find enough stars on the image. Mostly I set 4x4 binning and 5 sec exposure for the plate solver to get sufficient number of stars anywhere on the sky, it works even with narrowband filters for me.
Th number of retries must also be 3-5 to get within the specified error margin ( number of pixels ) of the target.

Clear skies,
Janos

Thanks Janos! One follow up question. Does the Plate Solve always use the Exposure value taken from the Control Panel/Plate Solve tab/Scope Frame & Center Here/Exposure setting if you right click on a target from the Target List and ask it to center on target? And if it is doing a Solve & Sync automatically from running a sequence, then where does it get the Exposure value for the plate solve?

Dana

Hi Dana,

Yes plate solving is using the exposure you have defined in the equipment profile ( linked to the sequence ). As far as I know it is also true for “solve & sync”,

Clear skies,
Janos