QHY Filter wheel 7x36mm

Hello folks

I’m having a problem while connecting my QHY Filter wheel, it doesn’t connect alone I must connect the camera first and only then i can connect the filter wheel any idea how to deal with it I’m using the type 2 connector instead of the ethernet cable (36mm*7)

Best
Abdullah

@a_alharbi97

When you use the QHY cable that connects the camera directly to the filter wheel, all data and power for the filter wheel goes thru the camera. You must connect SGPro to the camera before SGPro can connect to the filter wheel.

There is the option to run power and USB directly to the filter wheel. In that case the filter wheel must be specifically configured to recognize it is being used “stand alone.” However that filter wheel option is typically only used when you are using a QHY filter wheel on a non QHY camera.

BTW – there are no Ethernet connectors on a QHY camera or filter wheel.

Charlie

thanks Charlie, so do you know what are these steps to activate that mood ( or how to let work as stand alone)? or it will change by default,
and I meant the cable that connects EFW the qhy camera it has an end like an Ethernet cable( 4 Pin Cable).

best
Abdullah

@a_alharbi97

That connector is called an RJ-45 connector and it was originally designed for use by telephone equipment. However, it is a convenient, 4 pin connector that has seen lots of use outside the telephone equipment industry.

The QHY filter wheel is intended to be used with a monochrome QHY camera. So, you would normally use the camera to filter wheel cable that comes with the filter wheel.

If you need to control the filter wheel separately from the camera, it can be done but it’s a bit complicated. The filter wheel comes with a cable that plugs into the small RJ-45 jack that allow you to provide external 12v DC power to the filter wheel. The filter wheel also has a dedicated USB port that you will need to use.

The filter wheel comes from the factory configured to be used with the camera to filter wheel cable. There is a reset pin (and a procedure) that must be used to make the filter wheel operate stand alone. This requires a completely different ASCOM driver and a special USB device driver.

The procedure is documented near the bottom of the QHY filter wheel web page:

https://www.qhyccd.com/qhycfw3-filter-wheel/

Scroll down to the section called “Safety Instructions and Precautions” and read that entire section.

Charlie

1 Like

I use the QHY EFW on USB 2.0 with the QHY RS232 driver. No problem connecting, but there is a bug which SGP has failed to fix. Before SGP will select a filter, you must select one manually first in the control panel; then it works fine.

Peter

1 Like

I’d argue that this is more of a bug within the driver than SGP. Basically it seems that the filter wheel is lost or cannot determine its current location unless a position has been set. SGP should not need to be concerned about internal functionality of a specific device in order to make use of it. SGP uses ASCOM interfaces to talk to hardware and if this was truly a SGP issue it would be across all filter wheels and not just one specific filter wheel.

I’d be interested to hear if this driver passes the ASCOM Conformance Checks.

Jared

1 Like

Thank you folks for replying i got quite busy,

Ok let me list all things that happened

I connected the efw and tested so many things an concluded that it is the QHY EFW error function,

After I failed to change the filters couple of time and test that woth NINA and checked ASCOM Diagnose check (nothing shows), i decided to change the Firmware (as a maybe it got some error from whatever can get it an error(it worked in the previous months flawlessly though ))
I changed it to the (one direction rotation) and still the same problem when i power it up, it just rotates for alignment (sitting filters to the first position) and then whenever i tell the efw to change filter it doesn’t
So I’m guessing
It is not the the motor problem it is something else that i don’t know about.

Btw i did re-install qhy efw driver so I don’t know what to do else, I tested everything checked that I’m 100% not in the (firmware update mood)

Best
Abdullah