QHY163: Uncontroled offset change using subframe

Ciao,
I’m using SGP 2.6.0.23 with a QHY163M camera (ASCOM Capture driver 0.1.51.7).
I have noticed that using subframe option, the imposed offset value changes automatically to 256, regardless of the offset you have set.
To go back to the wanted camera parameters you have to put the offset to zero and then back to the wanted one.
How can it be solved?

Thank you

I can’t reproduce this issue with SGP 2.6.0.23 and ASCOM driver 0.1.51.9 (it was released a couple of weeks ago). My first recommendation is to update the ASCOM driver, then verify that the firmware and SDK are also up to date. For your reference, here is my configuration:

BTW, why are you subframing with a fast download camera?

P.S. If you’re more comfortable with Italian, please feel free to PM me.

1 Like

Ciao Alessio,
thanks for the feedback.
I will update all the driver asap in order to check if this is the issue.
I use subframe option only during the telescope manual focusing operations, in order to speed it up.
I’m Marco Svettini (fm Grado/Udine). I have read your article cited by Skypoint. Congratulations!
I have collaborated with Skypoint to write an article about CMOS cameras also, then published by Coelum.
I really love QHY163M, both for deep sky and planetary astrophotography. The CMOS have really gnown in the last years.

I will update you soon about my results.
Saluti, Marco.

1 Like

Ciao Marco,
thanks and congratulations to you too. The article on SkyPoint/Coelum was the reason that convinced me to move to the QHY163M from my Canon 7D Mark II, so I really have to thank you and Mauro. By the way, I leave in Mortegliano, so we are are just in the same backyard.
Your explanation for subframing makes perfectly sense, I just assumed that you used autofocus as most SGP users.
If I can help you with some additional testing please let me know.
Saluti

Ciao Alessio,
finalmente ho potuto verificare quanto suggerivi.
Nella schermata di configurazione della camera però non mi compare la versione del driver SDK, come invece accade a te. C’è un trucco per vederla?
Per il resto il problema persiste nonostante gli aggiornamenti e me ne accorgo perchè dopo aver usato l’opzione subframe, tornando ad acquisire a pieno campo, il valore medio del campionamento balza all’improvviso oltre 4000.
Info: non ho installato driver WDM e Broadcast.
Hai qualche suggerimento?

Grazie
Marco

Ciao Marco,
non ci sono trucchi particolari ma a questo punto ho il sospetto che ci sia qualche problema a livello ASCOM. Sarebbe utile sapere quale sistema operativo usi e qual’è la versione della piattaforma ASCOM. Mi sarebbe utile anche l’output di Ascom Diagnostics: esegui un Run Diagnostics ed inviami i log del risultato al mio indirizzo email: alessio.beltrame ‘at’ gmail.com (per default i log sono salvati in una cartella situata il Documenti\ASCOM e avente come nome la data in cui è stato eseguito il test). Comprimi pure l’intera cartella in uno ZIP e inviami quello.

Per la cronaca, nemmeno io ho installato WDM e Broadcast. Appena ricevo i log li confronto con i miei e vediamo se ne veniamo a capo.

Alessio

Ciao Alessio,
finalmente ho potuto verificare quanto suggerivi.
Nella schermata di configurazione della camera però non mi compare la
versione del driver SDK, come invece accade a te. C’è un trucco per vederla?
Per il resto il problema persiste nonostante gli aggiornamenti e me ne
accorgo perchè dopo aver usato l’opzione subframe, tornando ad acquisire a
pieno campo, il valore medio del campionamento balza all’improvviso oltre
Info: non ho installato driver WDM e Broadcast.
Hai qualche suggerimento?

​Buongiorno Marco,
questa mattina mi sono imbattuto per caso in un post sul forum di SGP. A
quanto pare, ​per motivi che non mi sono per niente chiari, assieme a SGP
vengono distribuite due DLL di QHYCCD: QHYCAM.dll e QHYUSB.dll. Entrambe
sono presenti nella directory di programma di SGP, quindi in C:\Program
Files (x86)\Sequence Generator3.

Tipicamente Windows va a cercare le DLL nella drectory del programma che le
invoca, quindi inizialmente nella cartella di SGP. Solo se non le trova in
quella posizione va a cercarle altrove. E’ quindi possibile che, anche a
fronte di un aggiornamento dei driver di QHYCCD, SGP continui a usare la
“sua” vecchia copia delle DLL. Se è così, il modo per risolvere il problema
è quello di rinominare le due DLL incriminate oppure di aggiornare SGP. Mal
che vada puoi sempre ripristinare il nome originale delle DLL.

Buona giornata

I have exactly the same problem - can you describe how you did resolve it? Unfortunately I do not know Italian :frowning:
I have ASCOM 6.3 and latest QHY drivers. I tested it also with previous driver version. And this happens for me on two different laptops.

Lucas

I also enjoyed the article, Alessio. I also use subframing for the same reason. I cannot get the ASCOM driver to keep my custom presets for some reason. I use the color version and have never paid attention to the offset when subframing, but – I am still very new, so…I will pay more attention to that next time.

@jinzai: thanks!

@jolo: I’m briefly translating the last reply to Marco: There are two DLL files, that are distributed with SGP and stored in SGP’s program directory (by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Sequence Generator), named QHYCAM.DLL and QHYUSB.DLL. Depending on your version of SGP/QHY camera drivers/QHY Ascom drivers, it is possible that those DLL’s do not match the other files of the QHY suite. Try to rename either of them (e.g. to QHYCAM.BAK and QHYUSB.BAK) and check if that solves the issue.

I wish I could offer a best solution, but unfortunately I was never able to reproduce the problem, no matter how hard I tried.

Dear all,
honestly I don’t use the camera since last December, due to other activities.
However I never solved this issue.
Hope someone will solve and post the solution.

Regards
Marco

I reported a ticket to QHY - will let you know once I get the answer.

Problem seems to be solved with latest QHY drivers that were released two days ago.

Same problem reported here with FW 18-3-30 and SDK 18.5.2.2