Request for SnapCap and Dome

I have been a holder of the SGP license for more than 3 years and a few weeks ago I bought a SnapCap to protect my C14HD from dust, doing a search in the forum I noticed that, many SnapCap users have requested to add more functionality for the device in order to avoid collisions at the opening and closing of the Cap towards the Dome but, they have all been ignored, is it possible that such important functions can be ignored, moreover implemented in NINA, this shows that it is possible to implement it . I hope my message does not go unnoticed like the dozens of requests for this device owners.

1 Like

as I supposed, not even an answer on the matter, for us SnapCap owners all the automated part of the flats in the SGP is practically unusable, at least, I expected an answer of why the developers do not want / can implement it. I try to be clearer.

have you at least understood that, for a owner of a larger instrument, in my example a Celestron C14HD, if I do not open the SnapCap in a certain position of the Dome / Mount, the Flat Panel collides causing quite expensive damage?

the action sequence should be quite simple, “Mount and Dome to the North with open shutter = Open / Close SnapCap”. that’s all.

hope to be taken into consideration, thanks in advance

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. In your example it makes sense to open/close the SnapCap at this position but if you have a roll off roof then opening at that location is likely a bad idea. Likewise not every owner with a dome parks their dome at 0 degrees azimuth or has this tight of restriction.

I’ll look into how we can make this more configurable. But there are certainly more situations that need to be understood and allowed.

I think initially an option to Open the SnapCap prior to unparking the scope and mount would be adequate.

Jared

Thanks Jared for taking a look at this request, I understand the complexity that this request induces, obviously I am not looking for the solution just for my case but a flexible solution for everyone, I take as an example the attached panel as a possible add on in the SnapCap configuration , both for the Dome configuration and for the Roll Off are common.

I make available, if needed, my complete system with remote connection and with webcam to attend the tests if you need it. we can remove the Cap in front of the telescope and assist only in the functioning of the motor, this prevents us from doing any damage.

I would also like to hear the opinion of some other SnapCap owner or similar system to collect other variables as well.

Thanks again Jared and let me know if you need my cooperation.