Sequence Generator Pro 3 and FocusLock reviews

Hi All,
I know this is probably an old subject but I cannot find any reviews on the use of FocusLock software with SGPro and how they found it ?

appreciate your thoughts
regards Peter

It’s possible that @JeffDickerman from Optec may have some insight here.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply, I have been in contact with Jeff but this software is no longer available.
As I have just resurrected my rig and updating every thing I am just wondering what is the latest that other users are using as a focus system with SGPro? …this FocusLock concept sounded really good.
regards Peter

Hello, I have been using SGPro and focus lock for several years now without any problems.

With the way I use it, Focus lock doesn’t really interact with SGP. It gets its image data from PHD2. Since Focus Lock will be moving the focuser and SGP also connects to the focuser you’ll need an ASCOM driver that allows multiple programs to connect to it.

If you switch off Focus Lock’s control of the focuser, then you can use SGPs auto focus routine to get you to best focus. Useful for calibrating Focus Lock. Once done just let Focus Lock do it’s thing.

Cheers,
Ian

I think that this is near the same as FocusLock or at least they were both based on the same technology: https://www.innovationsforesight.com/education/real-time-autofocus/ SGPro does not have any direct support for SharpLock, but I expect it would be very similar to FocusLock

Hi Ian,
thanks for your reply and the info re how it runs with PHD2 and the ASCOM driver needed
the more I read the more i wish i could get my hands on a copy of FocusLock.

Cheers Peter

Hi Ken,
thanks for the reply Ill do some more searching

Cheers Peter

Hi again Ian,

If I could ask just to clarify your comments and your actual focuser settings in SGP.

With your Focus Lock connection active and running in background and SGPro running do you actually have a connection in the Sequencer Panel to the same focuser at same time as Focus lock to get the data and positions, temp showing on Focus Control Panel in SGPro?

if so the Acsom driver setup are you using is it the "Optec Ascom Server " or another driver from your focuser manufacturer to get dual connect ?

Cheers Peter

Hello Peter,

Yes, I have connection to my focuser in both SGPro and FocusLock at the same time. My focuser is the TCF Leo focuser from Optec and I’m using it in conjunction with thjeir FocusLynx Hub. I beleive the ASCOM driver for that can connect to multiple programs. See the attached screen shot.

Its very useful to have both conneted as you can see where the focuser is and, once you’ve figured out which ay to move it, you can set the focuser position to be much closer to the correct focus (at the start of the evening) and then let FocusLock get it the rest of the way. It can speed things up. Another way is to set the averaging constant (on the menu bar: Settings->Setup) for FocusLock to a very low number, until it has got the focus dialed in. Then you can set it back to a larger value for the rest of the night.

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,
appreciate to information you provided this has helped me get my setup going and I figure you have unchecked the Auto Focus box in SGpro Focus Panel?
if I could ask would be good if you could post a screen shot of your Focus Panel settings in SGPro.
this would be a great help.
Cheers Peter

Hello Peter,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner.

I’m using an Edge HD 11 at prime focus, with a QHY294MM camera as the main imaging camera and a Starlight Xpress Ultrastar as the guide camera.

My process for gettingthem parfocal is to first use the Excel spreasheet on this website ONAG® back focus calculation - Innovations Foresight

It basically tells you what spacers you need to get the two cameras close to par focal. I use a green filter for this as it sits about half way between the O3 and Ha filters. Set the helical focuser on the ONAG about half way.

I then use a Batinov mask on the Edge to get the imaging camera focused on a star and refine it using the auto focus routine in SGPro. Remove the Batinov and start guiding on the star with PHD2.

Have FocusLock connected so it receives the images from PHD2. Use the view menu to “View plots” - it should give you a graph of the roundness values from the guide camera. Adjust the ONAG helical focuser to get the roundness values as close to 0 as you can. Its best to wait several minutes between each adjustment to allow the average roundness to settle (you might be able to reduce that time by reducing the averaging constant in the Setup dialogue box).

When you have the average roundness as low as you can get it then the two cameras should be parfocal. I haven’t used the focal offset so I don’t really know how that works

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Ian

Hi Ian,

No problems

And thanks for your informative reply…………… WOW was I way of the mark with my system to get all this working !

Okay leave this with me I have excel sheet studying it now …

One more question ….what sort of mount are you running ?

Really appreciate this info Ian

Cheers Peter