Sequence start at moonset or moonrise for LRGB exposures

When making LRGB exposures it is better to have no disturbing moon.
Now I have to adjust my sequence start/end time every day to avoid the moon.
It would be nice that SGP automatically adjusted the sequence starting/ending times when the moon sets or rises.

3 Likes

Yes! Same here!

It would be great if the functionality could be added to set the targets start and stop time dynamically/automatically based on moonrise, moonset, sunrise und sunset in the planning tool. So you dont have to adjust the start and stop times of your targets everyday.
At the moment I have to add 5 minutes everyday to the stop time, and I have to adjust the time when to switch from my HaOIII target to the RGB target everyday (based on moonrise and moonset).

Agreed, this would be a great feature to have

This would be great, but it is probably not so easy to implement, because the start/end times are set for every filter. What if you have defined LRGB for 8 hours and only 1 hour is at that night really dark? Would you shrink all filters times, or set some filters “off”?

Maybe it could work semiautomatically. I mean, on the target I could run “optimize for moon” and SGP will change order and start/end times for filters defined in the target (shift start/end times, and put Ha or SII filters for the times when moon is up in the sky). Button “optimize for moon” could fire up a dialog in which I can choose what to do - shift/shrink times, on/off, reorder or so.

Yes, this is a “not uncommon” request and is currently prioritized pretty high in the list… 3rd or 4th right now