Setting Gain for DSLR cameras

I did a 2 hour exposure on the horsehead nebula and all my images came out really faint. I posted in another forum and got some answers as to why this happened and have come to the conclusion that the Gain setting is not set right for my camera. I shoot with a Canon T1i and does anybody know or can point me in the right direction to find what value should be entered for my camera for this setting?

Here is a link to one of the images I took the other night

Horsehead Nebula image

The only thing I found that was set for this image was I had my download speed set to 1 and obviously that isn’t correct bc I should be able to see more detail than that in a 5 min sub

This is actually a 5sec exposure at ISO 1600:

Header

Kind regards,
Horia

I wonder how so? I had SGP sequencer set to take 300 sec exposure and I saw it count off to 300 secs. Where else in SGP would you set the exposure time? I did have the mirror settle time set to 5 secs. Would that be my error?

I’m confused now

Exposure duration is set in the sequence, in the column that is headed ‘exposure’

Settle time should not affect it other than a slight delay before the start.

Download speed wont effect it either. Many have issues with ‘high speed download’ in fact.

Hi Cap_Stone,

What Horia tried to tell you was that you have to **set the ISO in your Canon T1 camera to 1600**.
This is how you set the gain in your camera.

The 300 seconds that you set in the SGP is the exposure (time that the shutter is opened in the camera letting the light pass through the lens to the ccd ship), and that is controlled by the software through the USB cable you have connected to the camera.

Regards,
Joao Vaz Martins

Hi cap_stone,
SGP can’t control whether mirror lock is on, so if you set a mirror lock exposure time of 5 sec without mirror lock being on it will take a shot for 5 secs. With lower level canon cams you cant enable mirror lock so the solution is to not use mirror lock at all. Hope this helps!

1 Like