SGP / DSLR metadata (RA/DEC) integration

Is there a way to hook up a DSLR to SGP and directly or indirectly write the RA/DEC into the image metadata? E.g. write into Lat/Long is fine, or any extended metadata.

The reason is, I’m trying to create thousands of unique Camera RAW images for an unrelated project - so content isn’t that important. However, it needs to be Camera RAW (can’t be FITS). And I would like to have some variable location across them rather than all pictures “located” at the telescope mount.

So I was considering using SGP and just point it up at the Sky with a Canon/Nikon etc. and have it just take mosaics all night long with my ED80.

Can this be done? If I need to get the RA/DEC from somewhere else and write it into the XMP file next to the Camera RAW that would be fine - I just need to know which files (filenames) that the camera is taken correspond to what RA/DEC.

If so, what do I need to look out for as a camera feature that can do this?

The information that was given in the CN forum regarding file naming in SGP was wrong. If you advise SGP to save the data as FITS and CR2 files, the file names will be the same, only the filename extension will differ.

However, I really don’t understand why you insist to use CR2 files at all. What is the reason for this?

Bernd

Ahh great! That’s perfect.

I just have to create a few thousand unique CR2 files for a (non-astro) project. It can be of anything - mountains, cars, trains, rabbits, whatever. But the output must be Camera RAW images (CR2, NEF, DNG - doesn’t matter, but one of them.).

But since I already have astro equipment in the backyard, the easiest is to just point it at the sky and let it go nuts.

Is any Canon camera (or Nikon camera) on the SGP supported equipment list able to do this, or do I need to look for a specific camera feature in addition?

Is there a way to hook up a DSLR to SGP and directly or indirectly write the RA/DEC into the image metadata?

For CR2/3, no. We don’t write the RA/Dec to those files…just FITs.

If you just need to know what filenames correspond to the RA/Dec you could go looking through the logs for a slew and for the image that was taken subsequently after the slew…that would be painful by hand but probably not all that difficult to write a script for.

Jared