Sgp keeps crashing

That is very odd… maybe coincidental? I can’t think of anything SGPro would do that would require that much disk space? Your message indicated you had about 80GB of space left which seems like plenty for just about anything…

Thanks Ken,
Any clue from the logs what may have caused the multiple crashes?

In terms of the hard disk space I did the uninstall and reinstall the same time I moved the files to the external drive. To be really scientific I should have done one or the other, but It was 3 in the morning and I wanted to get back to bed, so I did it all at once hoping that when I got up in a few hours my darks would be done. They were.

(BTW, and entirely unrelated, I did an SGP demo to an astronomy club in San Diego and made a few converts)
Stuart

It looks like your module layout file might be / have been corrupt. The last thing the SGPro logs reported was that the layout file was found and then nothing after that… There should be handling around that, but maybe there is an error path we have not found.

Great, Thx!

Thanks. Not sure what a module layout file is, but it seemed to start working after an uninstall and reinstall. Would that fix it?

Stu

It is the file that saves the position and order of the docking modules.
It might have fixed it… never personally tested that.

While I am hesitant to bring this thread back from the dead…I recently found a couple of areas that could be very problematic and cause hanging across multiple cameras. These have been dealt with in the 2.5.1.16 release.

If you call could attempt that version and let me know how things go I would appreciate it.

If you experience hanging I need the following to help get this shorted out more quickly:

- Camera type (ASCOM, SBIG, Canon, Nikon…etc)
- SGP Log (naturally :slight_smile:)
- Frame Type
- Frame Length

Thanks,
Jared

Sure looks good to me.
SBIG 8300M
I just installed ver 16 and ran 80 lights with L, then 80 lights with R, then 120 bias frames. All with 0 delay between frames. Not a single failure. Prior versions would always have many failures with 0 or small delay values.

Well done Jared. Looks like you nailed it.

Great Job can’t wait to test this!!

Jerry,
I’d also be interested how you fare with the 6D as well. I was never able to trigger the failure with the 6D prior to this but you seemed to have pretty good success :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Jared

I have already sold one of my two 6Ds and the other one is listed now on Astromart. Since it is not connected up in my obs now I won’t be able to test it in a live configuration. I will try to do so in my office. Will keep you posted.
A successful run on my office pc will not be as definitive a result compared to a run on my obs pc where I have had all the failures.

[deleted - having a senior moment]

Make sure it’s in Bulb mode.

Thanks
Jared

Running 2.5.1.16 for the first time with SBIG camera. Set up for ten 60 second darks. Program crashed after the fifth image. I rebooted and restarted and this time it got to the second image before crashing. I went back to 2.5.1.14.

doh!

Interesting - obviously Nebulosity uses a different API control

Manual should work but I believe there are some minor things between “bulb” and “manual” that cause issues. That probably needs a little more research. However bulb should work without issue.

Thanks,
Jared

If you could supply the info above in this post that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi,
I was working those days with 2.5.1.15 without problems.
Yesterday night I updated to 2.5.1.17 and at the third image SGP crashed.
I realized this morning.

I use a QHY9 Mono camera, Lodestar for guiding, Mount Neq6 pro II.
I was imaging OIII Lights of 30 min. each one.

Previously I saw, before going to bed, that SGP was in Recovery Mode, due to a PHD problem, I think.
In the last weeks I’m having persistente errors in PHD guiding. I Use PHD 2.6.1 dev 9. I’ll update today to dev 11.

I add log files for both SGP and PHD. It seems SGP crashed at 1:33 a.m.
The debug PHD log file is too big for uploading.
I add a dropbox link.

sg_logfile_20160627224841.txt (335.7 KB)
PHD2_GuideLog_2016-06-27_230023.txt (789.9 KB)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41489676/Foros/PHD2_DebugLog_2016-06-27_230022.txt.zip

I have had untroubled operation for months and suddenly I have had strange guider issues too on the last two nights. The guider starts ok, AF routine kicks in and then guidestar is lost. I’ll have to do some digging. I have not changed the PHD2 version for some time, but I did change to 2.5.1.17 recently. Bizarre

Hey all,
I have not experienced a single crash with .17, I’m on Windows 7 64bit at the moment.

I was imaging last weekend and got x30 Lights each for 2 different objects, x31 Bias frames,
x31 25sec darks and x31 180 sec darks, a whole library of Flats with x31 each of ADU 8000,
12000, 15000, 17000, 20000, 22000, 25000, 27000 and 30000.

That’s a lot of flats at x279…No crashes, everything went perfect.

Why I have not experienced the crashes you guy’s are I have no clue but Glad I have not.

If I was I have to admit I would roll back to the last older version that worked for me.

Hope they Identify the cause soon for you all
Paul

No problems here on my Win10 Dell laptop using 2.5.1.17 with a variety of cameras and other ancillary equipment.
(Maybe I should find some wood to knock on!)