SGP Not Shutting Down Properly - Process Continues After Exit

Hello!

I’ve noticed that after closing SGP, there is a process that continues to run and uses up a lot of CPU resources. I’m attaching the log file. The last many many lines show an error that I don’t recognize. It starts around 05:33 and repeats every few tenths of a second.

What is this?

I’m using SGP Pro 64 v4.4.0.1336.

Thanks for your attention to this!

Link to Logs

Approx time of issue: 05:33

Useful Info

Ver: 4.4.0.1336 (64-bit)
.NET: 4.8
ASCOM: 6.6.1.3673

Unfortunately logs don’t record that type of thing. Because SGPro is the parent process to, sometimes, many different child processes, this type of behavior can happen when Windows is unable to terminate one or more of its child processes. When this happens, you’ll see SGPro continue to run and, in addition to this, you’ll likely see a process running that may or may not be listed as a child to SGPro (in the Windows task manager).

That last error is not meaningful. It just means that the UI for SGPro is still updating, but is missing a set of resources that was presumably removed by a partial shitdown.

Do you see anything else besides SGPro running?

How are you closing SGPro? Presumably with the normal X icon? Does the SGPro UI remain visible?

Ken:

My apologies, I didn’t notice you had responded to my message from last month.

The issue that I described before persists. I shut down SGP normally, and the UI disappears. I notice my computer resources continue to be used, and there is an SGP process in the Task Manager. I have to kill it from there.

The latest thing I am running is the ASCOM driver for Rainbow Astro’s focuser, and I am suspicious this is the culprit. A little popup window appears when I connect SGP to the focuser. When I disconnect, the popup window goes away. I wonder if the process continues in the background. I’ll check with that company about it.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Ben

This is “not good” practice. Equipment drivers should never assume to engage in UI. I’m not saying it’s the issue, but might be. Things like this can cause Windows to keep SGPro open because it thinks background processes are still in use.

You could run some tests with simulator gear and see if SGPro fully closes and then, if it does, replace the focuser simulator with your actual focuser and see if that changes.