SGP v. 3.xxx Image Statistics

Hello everyone,

I did my best to find this subject in the forums and in the help file to no avail. In the older versions, SGP would treat all the files as 16-bit files IIRC, at least the Image Statistics would report in 16-bits. With the new versions it seems this has changed. Is this corect or am I doing something wrong somewhere ?

I just started using a 12-bit CMOS camera and discovered this reality when the Flats Calibration Wizard drove me crazy the other day. I always target 30000 ADU for my flats and this has never been a problem. But with this CMOS camera things were weird… no matter how much the exposure was increased by the FCW the flat would come out dark. It took me a while to understand that over 4096 ADU the image was displayed in (counter intuitively) complete black. After every trial, the FCW would increase the exposure and this would go on for ever…

Once I changed the target value to 2100 ADU all went well and the FCW did its job properly.

Please kindly confirm that the camera’s ADU values are displayed w/o any conversion in the versions.

By the way, the camera in question is Moravian C2-12000A.

Thanks for your time.

Sedat

Hi Sedat,

your description sounds as if this is specific for the camera driver.

Are the frames saved in FITS format?
Can you upload (to a filehoster) one of the frames and post the link here?

Bernd

Thank you for looking into this Bernd. That could very well be the case. I have no problem with it now that I know what’s going on… It’s either the driver or SGP.

I prepared a package for you, the download link is here.

Clear skies.

Sedat

I took a look at the frames. I agree, these are all 12-bit data, not scaled to 16 bit. This is very unusual, I still did not encounter this when the files are saved in FITS format. May I ask which camera model did you use?

I guess only Ken or Jared can answer your question regarding SGP, and Moravian regarding the camera driver.

However this should not be a problem in the processing, since all frames are in the 12-bit format. It is similar to the processing of frames coming from a regular digital camer that were saved in a proprietary raw format (e.g. CR2, NEF, or ARW) The special case is indeed the different target intensity value for the flat frames. I am sorry that I cannot help you.

Bernd

1 Like

You already helped Bernd, thank you. The camera is C2-12000A.

Best wishes and a Happy, Healthy New Year to you and your loved ones.

Sedat