SGP will not open

First of all, yes I did read up on the thread of other people with this same issue. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled several times. I followed the directions carefully on the suggested “nuclear option.” But when I try to open SGP, the “wait a minute” wheel spins for a second or two, then disappears. Nothing else happens.

As background, I had downloaded the trial version many months ago but never really used it, allowing it to expire. It didn’t open before I bought the full version (which I did yesterday) and the full installed version does not open now. I am using Windows 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Can you tell us which version of SGPro you are using?

I tried downloading both 4.0.0.643 and 3.2.0.613. Neither one would open.

IMG_4398.jpg

Lets focus on 3.2 for now since 4.0 is still beta and may insert other complications that will only serve to hide the issue at hand.

Can you describe what does happen when you attempt to open SGPro? Nothing at all? You see the SGPro banner (loading) window, but nothing past here? Something else?

I’ve tried double-clicking the desktop shortcut, right-clicking and clicking “open” and the same with the actual app in the app list on Windows 10. No matter which way I do it, the same thing happens. The “wait a minute” wheel begins to spin, as though it will open. Two seconds later it disappears and nothing else happens.

IMG_4398.jpg

Ok, so just the “wait a minute” and no title screen that looks like this?

If that’s true, you may need to upgrade your .NET runtime as SGPro is now dependent upon version 4.7. This can be accomplished via the Windows Update tool.

No. I never got as far as that opening screen. I just completed software updates for the computer. Should that have taken care of it, or is .NET runtime something I would have to update on its own somehow? Sorry—I only have a Windows computer for astro work, and I’m not nearly as familiar with its workings as I am with my Macs.

IMG_4398.jpg

It should have taken care of it, but I cant be certain. This is a safe installer directly from Microsoft. It won’t hurt to install it. If it is already installed, it will tell you so and then exit. Did you make sure to install ASCOM as well?

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the delay in responding. So, should I uninstall everything SGP, install the installer you sent, and then download version 3 again? I do have ASCOM, and I updated the driver when I got my new AP Mach-2 mount a couple of weeks ago. But there a lot of ASCOM downloads, and I always worry I might have missed something. Is it just the basic ASCOM platform you have in mind?

Thanks.

IMG_4398.jpg

Yes, just the basic ASCOM platform is all you need. No need to uninstall anything, you can just run that installer above and, when it finishes, attempt to restart SGPro.

It said I already have it.

IMG_4398.jpg

OK, that’s good. Did you verify the version in the “Loading Screen” (like the screenshot I used above)? Just need to make sure we both have the correct info and it is possible to install multiple different versions of SGPro.

Well, I mentioned that I never get as far as the loading screen. Can I go into apps and get the version somehow without opening the program? I tried, but got nowhere. I did try “run as administrator.” It asked permission to make changes, and then nothing happened.

Maybe it’s best if I just delete everything and then reinstall, making a careful note of what I downloaded?

IMG_4398.jpg

Yes, but you’ll need to find the install directory at which the Windows shortcut is pointing. Right click the shortcut or start menu item, click Properties and then check where that shortcut points (somewhere in the Program Files (x86) directory). Then navigate to that directory in File Explorer, find Sequence Generator.exe right click and choose Proeprties. You can see the version as such:

Hi Ken,

Sorry. Got busy.

I didn’t get there quite the way you suggested, but anyway, the version is 3.2.0.613. I uninstalled everything, then downloaded that version yet again. It always seems to install correctly, but then at the end of the process I choose “launch program,” and it never launches.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

IMG_4398.jpg

Hi Ken,

Sorry. Got busy.

I didn’t get there quite the way you suggested, but anyway, the version is 3.2.0.613. I uninstalled everything, then downloaded that version yet again. It always seems to install correctly, but then at the end of the process I choose “launch program,” and it never launches.

I noticed last night that I have two desktop shortcuts for SGPro. I’ve been careful to uninstall before reinstalling, but might this be an indication that I somehow have it installed twice on my computer, and might that be our issue?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.
IMG_4398.jpg

Not in this case since you clicked “Launch Program” you did not use any shortcuts and multiple installs would not cause a situation where SGPro would not launch. I am honestly at a loss and I cant think of any other things that would stop SGPro from even just starting. We haven’t seen this before, but if you contact support@mainsequencesoftware.com we can arrange a refund.

I have been experiencing same. after going deepen into my computer than I probably should have, i just now relaunched SGO 3… and low and behold the screen came alive and loaded a trial license expiring in 45 days. I have paid for the retail license over year ago, but have been in and out of trying this hobby with minimal success. waited 4 months for off axis guider and just recently had all the parts to really do something and found SGP was no longer working for me. Think i must have been on trial all this time somehow. at least i have 45 days to try get scope, mount, camera,filter wheel, oag, all working together befor putting it all on craigslist.