SGPro 4.4 Backlog - Our Thoughts and Request for Community Input

We have discussed this and may include an “OMG SO BIG” version that basically takes up your entire screen. Lots of times people are doing PA with their laptop sitting away from them or are remoting into their device from their phone.

Thank you,
Jared

1 Like

How do I “+1” an existing request?

A “notes” column in the new Sequence windows on a per-event basis would be nice. I currently use the Suffix field to keep track of how many images I still need for each filter. A more generic “notes” field would be better, especially if it could be made wider. The “Sequence Notes” doesn’t work for this scenario.

Auto Focus:
Would be nice to have more intelligence in when a focus run is needed. In addition to the comment below, I usually do a manual focus while waiting for the scope to cool down and when starting the sequence, it always focuses even if the last and current temp are the same.

Better logic on the focus position of the first focus of a sequence would be nice. Possibly keep track of the last X number of focus point/temperature pairs for each filter, and go to the average position on the first focus of a sequence. Being able to pre-populate the focus point/temperature table from prior log files would be nice.

And this:

And this:

Image History window improvements

Web page request
This isn’t for any release, but it would be really nice if posts could be marked as “Completed” or “Implemented” or something similar, and not appear in search results by default. A lot of Feature Requests have been implemented, but having them appear in searches wastes time.

Literally just by making a reply that indicates your support of a request

Ability to start and end a sequence based on multiple criteria.

For example, start X minutes after sunset AND when the object has reached Y degrees altitude.
Right now I have to manually adjust the start time of the first target and the end time of the last target, guessing at how much to adjust for changes in sunset/sunrise times.

1 Like

Allow opening shutter/roof X minutes prior to sequence start
Open one of two ways: 1) via a script, 2) via an ASCOM observatory driver.

1 Like

Allow a script (not necessarily a VB script) to be run before and/or after every exposure.
It should be possible to pass parameters to the script, like all the % file name parameters.

My script would update a web site telling it what images have been taken, what time, etc. I could then view the information from my phone and don’t need my PC to remotely log into the observatory.

Thanks for all the input. Please keep them coming… if you want to see something in SGPro this is most definitely the best place to influence the feature backlog.

1 Like

Flats during Unsafe Conditions
Use case: For me a common occurrence is to capture images during the evening and part of the night, but it clouds over before dawn. I like to take flats (panel/flip-flat) before dawn to prevent light leaks. However if conditions have become “unsafe” no flats are taken at all.

I would like the ability to set a default gain setting for all autofocus and platesolve exposures.

I generally capture LRGB frames at low gain, and narrowband frames at high gain. But I would prefer to take all autofocus and platesolve exposures at high gain, to allow shorter exposure times and minimize read noise.

Would like ability to run a script before and/or after each image, and to be able to pass the % filename arguments to it.
Another possibility might be to have an API call to get sequence start/end, target start/end, event start/end, and image start/end status.

1 Like

Perform periodic autofocus, say every 2 minutes, and start capture light frames based on FWHM, i.e. proceed when FWHM is below 4. Normally, one would just wait to start imaging based on weather forecast, but weather is variable and not an exact science. Being able to monitor the seeing and start when ideal conditions are reached would maximize imaging time, also only capturing images when seeing is good will minimize capturing garbage frames. If this is already a feature then disregard.

IMHO, SGP has somewhat better logic compared to N.I.N.A. for a simple sequence. For example, SGP will automatically open/close/illuminate light flat panel depending on type of frame being captured, N.I.N.A. simple sequencer doesn’t. However, SGP has a lot of sequencer settings buried within the application. I find the advanced scripting approach of N.I.N.A. more intuitive for understanding what the various sequencer settings are and what will happen when. For example, identifying the specific settings for autofocus, goto/platesolve, startup and shutdown actions, along with the light/dark/flat frame captures in the list of imaging sequence instructions. Although, the advanced scripting is exhaustingly in-depth and not as easy to get up and running. A balance between the simple sequence and advanced scripting would be nice.

Also consider implementing the following:

1. Additional tools, like sensor profiling to determine optimum imaging settings and assist in tilt adjustment, focuser profiling to determine backlash compensation and optimum exposure/binning/ROI settings to capture focus frames, optics profiling to identify aberrations and optimum imaging ROI.

2. Ability to select autolight, autodark, and autoflat in the main sequencing list. Autobias could just be the lowest exposure setting possible. So instead of setting explicit parameters for the frame types, let SGP figure them out automatically. These would presumably be on the same target per sequence. I’d like to be able to tell SGP I want x number of frames and it will identify appropriate settings and generate them:

100 L Frames, 50 R, G, B, Frames, 25 Ha Frames
    50 Dark Frames to match the L, R, G, B, Ha Frames
    50 Flat Frames for L, R, G, B, Ha, along with appropriate darks
    200 Bias Frames

3. Ability to import project from SkyTools. Many of the optimum imaging parameter determinations are more robust and already implemented in SkyTools, i.e. what object to image, when to image, camera settings, etc.

4. A master form that lists every action that will be performed in a sequence. Many of the settings that are in various locations within the app can be brought into this form and auto populate on the appropriate line. If a parameter needs to be changed, that can be done in the master form. The usual list of frames to capture would also be in the master form. Also the ability to enable/disable any line item should be possible.

just bumping this up so it stays visible for a bit…

Request option or another mechanism to keep SGP from running end of sequence actions when no sequence is running and an “Unsafe Conditions” occurs.
In my case, I do NOT want the mount to park unless a sequence ends. I may have a flat panel on the scope or doing maintenance on the mount when it’s not in parked position. I have a separate system that detects rain or high winds and shuts the roof, so don’t need or want SGP to do that when not running a sequence.

End of sequence steps running when unsafe conditions even if not running a sequence - Premium Support - Main Sequence Software (sequencegeneratorpro.com)

1 Like

I was hoping to see the before mentioned custom horizons since I (and likely others) live with trees and other obstacles. It was mentioned back here:

Or is it in the beta? (I have not tried the beta yet)

It’s in the beta.

We’ve gone back and forth on this a bit. Earlier version of the Unsafe implementation worked as you describe and a lot of folks wanted it to always trigger. Maybe we need to add the option to the Unsafe area to allow the user to set their preference (globally).

Jared

1 Like

Now that I’m committed to mono imaging, I realize Sequence Fragments would be very helpful to my workflow (so as to not rely on filter offsets).

Something like NINA’s Smart exposures would be pretty awesome.

Hi there,

I read that the new Horizon feature is not complete. Please keep working on that. As others have said, the PA feature would also be the number one in my requests, too.

Include in SGP certain file/folder naming templates for enabling the selecting of entire directories into PI or other post processing programs that would give them the information they need to sort them out., Also offer templates for organization of data by date or target in ajn easy to use fashion. Perhaps include a zip file creator to automatically store data in reduced sizes.

Clear Skies,

Paul

I’d like SGP to continue numbering images in a target rather than start over at 1 and add -1 to the end of an image name. This is when I have to, for example, abort a sequence after 2 images, I’d like it to number the next image ....003.fit instead of ...001-1.fit.

I use SkyTools too. It would be fine to have any import of targets from skyTools to SGP. If needed, I can cooperate on this to send you exports and to test it.

Autoflats read number of taken flats from disk. I would like to have a button somewhere (for all targets, or sigle target), to load the number of taken images to the sequence. I use quite large set of objects in the sequence file and some times (probably my fault, but every few weeks happens) when I set active target or need to reset something the sequence progress is reset (zeroed) and I need to reconstruct it manually (let say 20 targets times 3-4 filtes :man_facepalming:). But there are sure more important things to do like:

1. better focusing routine (focusers are not perfect and bad focus = bad image) where the final computed focus position will be confirmed by defined number of points near the focus. I know that seeing is then important, but if not better focus point can be find, then go to computed focus. This could be an option to some one in the focus settings. Or have more focus routines from which to select.
  2. some times I need to change guiding during sequence. Let say, the moon is up til 2:00, so I take 10-15 min subs. After moonset, I want to make RGBL images from 30-90 sek. For this I do not need guiding (have precise mount). When using PHD2, there is too much time wasted (even when doing dithering every 2-3 pictures) - dithering, waiting mount to set + take into account that camera reads the image 10+ seconds. If I switch to direct mount guiding, I save much time and get more RGBL images during night.