Start at dusk

The Planning Tools allows you to start at a specified time or altitude. It would be nice if the starting time could be based on Dusk. Right now, I have to adjust the starting time to adjust for Dusk, either forward or back. I like to start when it’s “dark”.
Eric

1 Like

But that would not consider the object altitude, you want to start (and finish) when it is dark and when the object reached certain altitude.

This is actually something that could be improved in the planning tool.
Set sequence start and finish based on altitude NOT time. As weeks go by, the desired altitude will change and be reached earlier. Nowadays you have to constantly adjust the starting/finish time manually to keep the desired altitude constant.

Martin

I would think any prudent user has already checked that in the graph or elsewhere.

There really needs to at least be a readout (on the altitude graph) for what astronomical twilight is at the location (not dusk, that is way too early) so the user can do a one button select of that time and then a get warning if it is below a preset altitude at that time.

There is a provision to do this by altitude. There’s a chain icon next to the altitude in the Planning Tool. If you click that, the chain will “lock” which locks the altitude of the object and the time will become variable. Check out page 110 of the SGP user’s manual and see if that’s what you’re looking for. That doesn’t do anything for the original question though about being able to define “Dusk” as a time to start though.

Dave

Thanks Dave!!!
So many years wishing this function and never paid attention to this locks…

I don’t take pictures unless an object is above 30 degrees, and set this in the Start and End times by locking the altitude. But at some point an object reaches 30 degrees when it’s too light out, so I want to hold of starting until BOTH 30 degrees are reached and it’s dark. On objects that are already above 30 degrees, pictures should not start until it’s dark.
For sake of discussion, I define “dark” as “Dusk”, although ideally we could set an amount before (-) or after (+) dark.

You can already set a start and end time for a sequence. I’m not sure over how long a period you image the same object (days, weeks, months?), but for me, setting a start time has generally worked.

I really don’t think I’ve had to tweak or adjust the start time for a sequence due to true “dark” changing week to week. Generally I’m done with a target before the changing seasons impact when I’d want to start imaging it…

I can sometimes go months on the same target, but even I only went a week I would still need to manually adjust the start time of the first target based on brightness.

Astronomical twilight/darkness changes less than 1 minute per week for most sites in the US. Not sure where you are based :slight_smile:

You’re missing out if you need 30+ degree’s.
This was below 20 degree’s for me.
Imgur
and then again next night.
Imgur

I auto start at dusk. I shoot until target touches my tree line.

2 Likes

Ron,

I took some shots of the Cassiopeia nova when it was below 15 degrees a couple months ago, and again now when it’s over 30 degrees, and there’s a big difference. I have enough clear nights that there’s no reason to risk shooting below 30 degrees. I reserve the right to reconsider though :blush:

Eric

Nice shots - you must have good skies with low LP and stable air. Were they taken with Prism, NINA or SGP?

Hi Buzz, any of those will take the shots… just one may me easier, more enjoyable to use.
In this case NINA is all I use now. Oh wait, I scrolled up to see what I was replying to, and … those were shot with the ASIair pro on my portable mount ( little AVX) with a Samyang 135mm lens stacked atop a Sv80mm.

Someone said he waits for above 30 degree’s. I would too but this target is never higher than 20 degree’s ever for my location. So < 30… it can be done I do it often. This is hardest for me as it was South and I have a freeway exchange to my S. So those lights are always glowing.

Nina has start at -sunset OR say -10 degrees below horizon but why do that, it also has start at nautfical dusk, or start at astronomical dusk. (around an hour difference). I then add after “start” a command to wait until (target) is above horizon. (my horizon as in trees). It will then shoot X amount of subs, or until time… or until target is below horizon on the West side. Here is an example… the sequence I use. I just always load this one (if shooting 1 target that night) and drag and drop in the new target I want to shoot and click run. I then can leave.

P.S. I can edit live - while running the sequence parameters in ANY WAY I want. No need to pause ot stop and resart. Just enter in the changes while the sequence is running. I requested my custom horizon feature and it was added 2 weeks later. See above - the purple area is my tree line.
Also as I drag and drop in another target… everything is changed. It now knows there is a new target rise and set time. I don’t have to figure anything out. I can load this same sequence night after night and just drag and drop in my new desired target and click play.
It also knows by date, and time raise and set changes. Yeah - it’s PHREAK’N AMAZING

NINA is certainly developing quickly. It is difficult to keep up with the Betas and the changes sometimes catch me out. It will settle down with time (and probably become over-complicated as a result).
I prefer SGP for my observatory system. I can trust its observatory management of my mount and ROR during changing safety monitor conditions.

@Ken, @Jared, care to chime in with your thoughts? I’d still like to see the ability to have a sequence start at dusk plus some offset AND above X degrees.

Bump.
Would be nice to be able to start and end a sequence based on multiple criteria, for example, start X minutes after sunset AND when an object reaches Y degrees.

I suspect there are other criteria that would be useful (when moon sets??).