Starting sequence, got an error about not being able to initialize notification endpoint

Started SGP after aborting it (info in other thread), and got an error message about failing to initialize Notification endpoint Text File 1. I think that’s what it said. The dialog had a timer and it went away before I could grab a screen shot.

I found the following in the log:

[1/6/2016 9:50:33 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Text File Endpoint 1: New sequence run... opening / creating files... [1/6/2016 9:50:33 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Text File Endpoint 1: Error opening text file (C:\Users\Andy\Documents\SGP_Events\monitoring.txt)! The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Andy\Documents\SGP_Events\monitoring.txt' because it is being used by another process. [1/6/2016 9:50:33 PM] [DEBUG] [Main Thread] Text File Endpoint 1: Failed to open or create logging file... this endpoint will not be used!

Full log

FWIW, I do have an application that opens the notification text file and monitors it for notifications. This application runs automatically on login and runs forever (keeping the file open all the time.) The ordinary state of affairs is that the monitoring app has the file open when I start SGP, so I am not sure if this is relevant (i.e., nothing has changed in this regard.)

If I had the choice, I would prefer not to have the dialog close automatically. I would like to have the option for this to be a fatal error. I have come to rely on notifications and if the error message goes by without my seeing it, I would have no way of knowing that notifications had been disabled! This could have bad consequences for my gear if something went wrong and I did not realize notifications were disabled.

Andy

Seems reasonable. I don’t think I can do anything about the file custody battle (or at least I am not sure how to fix it). I’m sure the Windows file system still has the old instance of SGPro marked as the owner… it would probably free the lock in time, but I don’t think we can influence Windows to do it when we want.

That said, failure to initialize the monitoring system will no longer allow the sequence to start and the error message is persistent.

1 Like

Thanks Ken, works for me!

Andy