Truncated User Interface with latest release

The right side of the sequence window is truncated where the equipment list is as pictured.

This is a known issue reported in at least three other threads now (meaning we know this is not really an isolated incident at this point). We are working on identifying it, but it is pretty difficult to reproduce (and seems to happen only in Windows 7). Hopefully, more on this soon…

@astrojoe

BUT…

So… this is shot in the dark. I have no idea if the change in this build will have any impact on the scaling issue reported, but if you are able to reproduce the issue reliably were able to download and replace your “Sequence Generator.exe” file with the one in this zip folder and check if it does anything, it will, at least be one thing to check off the list. Please note that this is not an installer… the EXE should be used to replace the exe from your existing SGPro install.

Sorry for the redundant posts Ken. I noticed it in the beta and figured I’d update when it was final. It is a less than one year old laptop running Windows 10, not 7.

I will try your dropbox link later as I am trying to capture images with the prior build.

The latest version seems to work fine on my desktop with Windows 10.

My laptop has a 4k screen but I run it in 1920x1080 mode. Not sure if that is an issue?

Ken,

I have a HP 4k laptop. I usually run it in 1920x1080 mode largely because PHD2 doesn’t seem to scale well to the higher resolution. So in 1920x1080 mode the Sequencer window is truncated as above.

I didn’t try the file you linked above, but changed my screen to 4k mode and the truncation disappeared. Not sure if this helps you troubleshoot the issue.

Also, the older version worked under either resolution.

So I downloaded the file you dropboxed and copied it to the location it belonged. It didn’t do anything.

But I then changed the custom scaling level in 1920x1080 resolution from 125% to 100% and everything appears normal. This is with Windows 10.

So that kind of solves the problem. The only negative is everything is harder to read due to decreased size. So maybe some scaling issue?

Again, the old version did not have this issue at all regardless of what screen resolution used or whichever scaling factor was used.

So to be more specific, if you right click on the desktop and click “display settings,” then click on “advanced display settings” then click on “advanced sizing of text and other items” then click on “set a custom scaling level.”

Not sure if this is a display hardware or driver issue. I have Intel HD graphics 520 driver and I assume the corresponding chipset.

Also, I just tried SGP on my desktop with Nividia graphics. It has a 4k screen. Same problem with the scaling occurs. And the old version works no matter what scaling level is used.

The funny thing is that a message appeared saying things might not work if a scaling level of 100% wasn’t used. Unfortunately, that message didn’t appear on my laptop, hence the frustration.

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, not for everyone. While going to 100% always solves it, sometimes the font is too small for everyone’s eyes.

Right. This is the only thing we know at this point.

1 Like

Yep, the whole reason I ever re-scaled things was because of 4k monitors. The issue first became apparent with me using PHD2 on a 4k laptop. In 4k mode, no matter what scaling factor you use I can’t get the boxes to show all the digits (e.g. they hysteresis box). But your prior release worked fine in both modes. So to be able to use both programs forced running in 1920x1080 mode so the PHD boxes weren’t truncated.

Maybe folks have complained to Craig Stark about that and he has given it some thought?

They sure don’t make it easy.

Ya… we know how to deal with scaling, we’re just not sure exactly what aspect of it is acting up. The whole thing busted when we added vertical resizing to the sequencer window. I look at this issue some every night and I’m still at square 0. No amount of scaling causes this issue on any of my machines so this is very frustrating…

If you allowed horizontal resizing would that maybe uncover the truncated part of the screen? Not a programmer but can feel your frustration.

It’s a great program and you charge too little. Keep at it and raise the price on the next significant upgrade. I have to imagine the new cmos cameras at attractive prices are expanding your market and making the effort worthwhile.

Might want to try this one. We have no known way to test it:

Hey Ken,

How is the window defined in code? Perhaps knowing that will lead to some crowdsourcing of ideas on how to resolve it. :slight_smile:

That worked. I tried it in both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 mode. Thanks!

Maybe what you did would be helpful to Craig Stark and PHD2 which has a similar issue when changing resolution/scaling?

I am really not sure. Seems pretty specific to our framework.

Locking this thread in order to consolidate. Please continue here: