Two new SafetyMonitors

in the last few weeks I have produced another two new SafetyMonitors:

• Generic File SafetyMonitor
  • Environment SafetyMonitor

The Generic File SafetyMonitor monitors any ASCII-file(s) on the local hard drive or on the network, scans it for a preamble (e.g. ROOF) and a trigger in that same line (e.g. CLOSED) and sets the SAFE/UNSAFE event based on the user settings.

The Environment SafetyMonitor reads observations from an ObservationConditions Driver (preferably OCH, but any driver can be used) and allows to trigger SAFE/UNSAFE events on 11 observation types in a maximum of 13 rules (the 2 additional ones are to allow for upper/lower limits for wind direction and temperature).

Both have their own web-page on my server:

Conform validation reports are included in the downloads.

I share these with the community in the hope they are beneficial to other (amateur) astronomers. I can, however, not be held responsible for any damage done as a result of a wrong setting or failure of the algorithm(s) or of the driver as a whole (this also accounts for all other freeware downloads on my server). So, use at your own risk and feel free to redistribute it. I would appreciate feedback in case any bugs are found.

with kind regards,
NicolĂ s

v009_runtime

step1a

2 Likes

Hi Nicolas - during lockdown I developed an Arduino based environment sensor that measures SQ, humidity, pressure, cloud cover, rain and temperature, along with an observing conditions ASCOM driver. I was just about to try writing a safety monitor around the same hardware and realize I would need to create a hub that allows two drivers to read the same hardware. When I’m done, I will publish it on my website.

In your system - does it allow one to feed of an existing observing conditions ASCOM driver to generate a safety monitor?

1 Like

Hi Buzz,

the OCH (ObservingConditions Hub) allows to connect to multiple ObservingConditions drivers at one time. My Environment SafetyMonitor connects to the OCH and allows to monitor all those OC-Drivers and to fire UNSAFE-events if one of the observations is not within a desired range. The OCH comes with your ASCOM installation, so you do not need to create an OCH yourself.

My Environment SafetyMonitor can also be used with other OC-Drivers like that of a MGBox, etc. The available observation types are automatically detected.

NicolĂ s

1 Like