Using a Canon 5D mk2

Query 1: can the binning level be set on live view or scheduled imaging. I cannot find any options to do this.
Query 2: can any sample windows be set for focusing purposes? I am having to try to focus via ~15 sec waits for full frame image download. Live view is too much binned. [I suppose I could revert to using the Canon’s own software instead - but I want to stick with SGP.

TIA

Lawrence Harris

I don’t believe there is any way to even request a binned image through the Canon SDK. Generally you would increase sensitivity via ISO.

Using the JPG preview should speed things up a good amount:

Thanks,
Jared

Thank you! :smiley:

I have had an opportunity t test this today on the Sun. Using Live mode + jpg enabled, very good focusing was achieved - thanks! However, when I then used the scheduler to record full-frame images they were useless - unfortunately. For whatever reason, they appeared grossly out-of-focus and/or vibration spoilt. I believe that I still have to check-out further camera settings that I thought I had changed.

I can now focus reasonably well using SGP live mode with this camera, set to jpg. However, despite setting the camera to ‘still mode 2’ (which I believe is recommended) there is evidence that this is not being done. I hear the loud mirror close, then the set wait (wait SGP software) of 8 sec, then another loud click of what I assume is the shutter - even though it should be a silent shutter mode. When saved to disc the pictures are either garbled or otherwise spoilt by movement, even on a 0.05 sec exposure. Advice on these camera settings+SGP welcomed.
Lawrence

Your best bet is to use Mirror Settle. Just be sure to enable in camera AND in SGP.
http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/Cameras.html

Thanks,
Jared

Yes - but it still isn’t working. I changed the ‘mirror settle’ time to
8 seconds in SGP and correspondingly in the camera but I can hear it
making a loud ‘clump’ after the ‘settle time’ wait.

regards

Lawrence H