When will the Canon EOS R mirrorless camera be supported?

Hi guys,

any idea when the Canon EOS R mirrorless camera will be supported? There is already a SDK that has support for this camera.

I have not personally messed with it. Does it not use the normal Canon SDKs?

Thanks,
Jared

Yes, it should use the normal SDK but it is only supported in the SDK of end september 2018.
Can I just overwrite the SDK files with the latest ones?

Jared, I have tried with the latest SDK. Picture is taken normal and SGP is saying it is downloading the picture but nothing is shown on the pc. Probably something with the new CR3 format of Canon?

The newer Canon camera’s seems to have the new CR3 format, is it possible to add that format to SGP or should I do a request for that?

Regards,
Jaro

We’ll have to do some research about this but we’ll look into it.

Thanks,
Jared

Any change support for CR3 format will come soon? Is it on the planning yet?

Regards,
Jaro

Unfortunately no news here. I’ll likely have to pickup one of the cameras to test with.

Thanks,
Jared

I am also interested in this. I have the newer, less expensive, EOS RP. It also produces CR3 files. If you need a beta tester for this, I’d be happy to volunteer.

Any news on this topic?
My new EOS Ra is eagerly waiting to be controlled by SGP ;- )

We are hopefully going to update the Canon SDK in SGPro 3, but if it breaks a bunch of cameras that used to work, we will need to move it to the 4.0 beta. If you have access to the Canon SDK files, you can just replace the ones in the SGPro install directory (EDSDK.dll and a bunch of other DLLs it depends on). It may work or break spectacularly (it wont damage the camera though).

Thanks, Ken, for the quick answer!

I have tried EDSDK Version 3.9.0 and SGPro now connects to the EOS R. ISO values and exposure time are set correctly. Pictures are taken as specified in the sequence and transferred to the AppData directory on the computer as cannonRaw-0.tmp

However dcraw.exe can’t handle the file. v9.26 which you are using doesn’t support filetype CF3. :- (

I contacted Dave Coffin, the creator of dcraw. Maybe he will be able to update his program.

I understand that you probably can’t switch to libraw easily ;- )

Thanks and regards
Peter

Edit: EDSDK Version 3.9.0 works correctly with the Canon EOS 6 !

We might be able to… We don’t have a super deep dependency on dcraw at the moment.

In the long run this would be most preferable. dcraw doesn’t seem to be continued as it hasn’t been updated during the last 18 months…

I really do like SGPro and appreciate all your fantastic work so far!