Abort on switching target - The sequence failed to move to the next event in the allotted time

For the past several SGP sessions I have had this odd behaviour where SGP terminates the session when switching to a new target. I have trouble interpreting the log.

Is there any way I could share the log and have someone look at it?

It looks like the first target (“Propeller nebula”) finishes at 02:53.

[10/10/22 03:23:20.089][WARN][Monitoring System Timed Message Thread][SQ;AF;] Timed error with abort (unrecoverable) action triggered! => (California - Andromeda mosaic) **The sequence failed to move to the next event in the allotted time!**

It looks like the sequence does a series of AutoFocus moves with my NiteCrawler, then decides that this takes too long (timing parameter???) and aborts.

Why?
My narrowband autofocus runs take a while (10-12 minutes) and occasionally the autofocus series gets restarted by SGP because the parabolic fit is assessed to be improvable.
Am I running into an internal timer issue of some sort? Can I change that timer?
Is this somehow linked to the RECOVERY option, which is activated?

I am not sure if this is a configuration error of mine, or a bug.

Thank you in advance for your input,
Kris

PS
I can send the 3.2MB log file by WeTransfer.

Please do send logs. SGPro has a log submission tool built in. No need to host them yourself.

Hi Ken,
I uploaded the log via SGP.
Hope it worked. It took several tries.
Thanks for your help,
Kris

Linking log post…

Also… unless it is broken somehow, you should be able to choose to add logs to one of your recent forum posts by using the drop down menu at the top.

https://forum.sequencegeneratorpro.com/t/session-aborted-due-to-timing-issue-at-03-23/17394

Ok, thanks. Yes this is a bug and we will absolutely fix it, but… I feel inclined to note that this bug has been around for a while now and never encountered until now because we generally do not see AF runs with NB filters. There may certainly be situations in which focusing with a NB filter is required, but since almost every filter wheel in existence has more than 3 filter positions, almost everyone chooses to focus their NB filters using a broadband filter (usually lum, but any will suffice). This takes a minute to set up, but, when done, it will typically result in a not-insignificant time savings over a session.

In any case, I will fix this for the next 4.2 release.

Thank you for your reply.

I initially decided to focus with all my filters, including NB filters, to be on the safe side.

In the mean time I have run a regression analysis of focus position on temperature and filter type.
The fit is quite good, and I should be able to use filter offsets. I just have not implemented this yet. (I know it will speed up my session.)

My NB filters are not parfocal, I need to an autofocus for each one for accurate focusing.

Peter

Peter,

My Astrodon E Gen2 filters are not perfectly parfocal either, but almost so. The OIII (3nm) has the largest offset vs Luminance. - There is a minor focus offset for each filter vs. Luminance. But the offset is fairly small and stable (by filter), according to my regression analysis. (This is true for my 530mm APO. Likely more sensitive for shorter FL.)

What Ken is driving at is that in SGP one can set default focus position of Luminance (say 48000 in my case), and then the default focus position for OIII (e.g., 47760). Thereafter, one can always focus with the Lum filter, and SGP will adjust focus of OIII subs by the difference of -240.

See here: Auto Adjust Focus Per Filter

(I have yet to try this in practice myself.)

Kris

1 Like