End of sequence abort

Everyone please take a step back.

@Jkulin
I believe you are talking about two different things. “Run end of sequence options” is different than “Disconnect all equipment at sequence end.” You have correctly disabled “Disconnect all equipment…” so that at the end of the sequence your equipment will remain connected.

I can’t find a way to disable “Run end of sequence option” by default, so perhaps this needs to be a feature request. Instead, what you will need to do is go into equipment settings and find all the settings that happen at the end of a sequence that you want to remain on. For example, if you want camera cooling to remain on you will need to go into the control panel/Camera tab and make sure that “warm up when sequence completes” is NOT checked. There’s probably lots of other settings like this you will need to double check.

1 Like

I am very capable to understand this if you had taken the time to write exactly what you wanted :wink:

Your last post describes what you want so i can actually help you now.

What you actually seem to want is the recovery mode.

If you loose a guidestar etc the solution is to use the recovery mode, with this enabled and working correctly SGP will not run end of sequence till another condition is reached (too many retries, end sequence time)
Here’s my recovery settings:

If the cloudwatcher detects clouds SGP will just pause, it will start again when it’s safe.
If you loose the guidestar without the “unsafe” being triggered SGP will just go into recovery and try to reaquire the guidestar etc.
For my settings this will go on for 90min and every 10 min a retry is made, after that end sequence is run.
If end sequence time is reached it will of course also run end sequence.

“End sequence at” is pretty important to use when running unattended so SGP will park at at that time and not continue imaging/doing recovery after it’s light.

Again, you miss the point, the function within SGP to stop it going into disconnect mode is not working, it is not for debate as to what other options there are, the simple fact is that the setting to stop it disconnecting equipment does not work and is therefore a bug!

There’s no further point in hashing this out. At this point let’s let the developers take a look at things. @Jkulin please provide a log file where the equipment disconnected even though the option to disconnect equipment was disabled.

1 Like

Will do Joel, when I do my next session.

You can find older logfiles by clicking this button

Right here is a prime example, I have two flat panels, one for my NB filters and the other for my RGB.

.Flats Sequence_NB

I can’t do them all with one flat panel as for the LRGB I have additional gels.

So as always I park my mount in the zenith position, place my NB flat panel onto and only check the NB files for the capture.

I have captured the screen to prove I have not checked the box as Jared suggested and I never have.

Pre-commencement of the flats

I have captured the control panel for interest.

Control Panel Setting

BTW I haven’t enabled the Cloudwatcher or the Observatory as there is no need as the shutter is closed.

At the end of the NB run I have captured the screen clearly showing that the check box is selected, even though I never told it to.

End of First run of Flats

I ran the LRGB Flat Panel and captured that end of sequence prompt.

End of Second run of Flats

I have also attached the log file as proof that I have not cheated

Here is a link to the logfile: - sg_logfile_20210419222323.log - Google Drive

So if I have missed something then please let me know, but to me there is a bug.

BTW I have just checked and although the dialogue box stated that if checked it would disconnect equipment, it actually didn’t and equipment is still connected, so it would seem to me that although that box states that it will disconnect it actually didn’t which is a bug!

@Jkulin - end of sequence options in the dialog you show are not the same as the option to disconnect all devices that Jared displayed.

Options are set in several areas - depending on whether the logic implies it is a general thing, or something that you might want to be associated with a particular device. (Our views of logical may differ, so just go with it!)

For instance, camera warming, telescope parking, stop tracking, stop guiding are to be found separately in the control panel, whereas a global disconnect everything is a single checkbox in the sequencer window.

There is no bug here that I know of. It has been this way for years.

I have just gone through the control panel to remind myself - there is no generic enable/disable for run end of sequence options. I think it is implicit if you do any of the following AFAICT.

Camera tab - warm up when sequence completes
Telescope tab - park, or stop tracking, when sequence completes
Auto guide - stop when sequence completes

The check box in the sequencer window, just below the target list has further options for end of sequence, including disconnecting, running scripts, or an overall end time.

1 Like

Sorry Buzz, Please read my last post as it explains the issue

I’m not quite sure I follow. In the screen shots you clearly show that “Disconnect all equipment at sequence end” is unchecked…and then you’re stating that the equipment is NOT disconnected, which is 100% what I would expect to happen.

The “End of Sequence” options are different than just the “Disconnect” option. “End of Sequence Options” are a lot of different things (parking the mount/observatory, warming the camera, etc).

I guess it’s unclear to me what you’re expecting to happen.

Jared

1 Like

Been through the entire post a couple of times now trying to understand the ask here.

I think there are a couple of things.

1 - Don’t shutdown when guiding/something bad happens.

• For this your best option is to use the “Restart sequence when conditions are safe”. You need a safety device to make this happen (it sounds like you have one). But basically if conditions are being reported as “Safe” SGP will be imaging (assuming your targets allow it). If conditions become “unsafe” then SGP will shutdown (running end of sequence options) and wait until conditions improve according to your safety device. At that point SGP will fire back up and start imaging again.

2 - Don’t abort when guiding goes bad

• For this you’ll need to use recovery. It’s similar but not the same as the restart option above. Basically if you lose your guide star or something else fails (but conditions are still Safe) then SGP will attempt to fix the issue (restarting the guider, trying to plate solve, etc).

If a run is successful or aborts then the End of Sequence options will be executed (if you are not there to prevent them). You can control what happens during the End of Sequence though. For instance if you want the telescope to continue tracking and not park you can disable both of these:

Jared

Hi,
I think I’ve had the same issue as JKulin. This has happend a number of time in the past, but I somehow just thought that it works as designed.

Let me recount my experience. Thursday night, I start a sequence and the scope correctly goes into plate solving mode. SGP then requests, that I adjust the angle of the camera, which I’m loath to do, as I would have to cross through the bedroom, where my wife is sleeping. You get my drift… :smiley:

So I cancel the plate solve and then the message saying “Sequence Complete” (why? at this point the sequence had not even started, except for the slew and Plate solve) that if I want toprevent the End of Sequence actions, uncheck the checkbox. I promptly do this, thinking that I can just return to the Sequence, chnage the Angle settings and restart the sequence. Is that not the way it should work? If not how should it work?

So, I try to start the sequence again and SGP tell me that it can’t start the sequence because the camera is warming up! I take a closer look and all equipment have been seperated from SGP and the scope has been parked. So actually what has happened, is exactly what I tried to avoid by unclicking the checkbox. What sense does the checkbox make if it has no effect?.

Here’s a link to the logfile. The incident happened just after 01:00 hours. I hope I’ve not confused things even more. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiJtNazoGA2vhcVi0jb9bKkreJOTWA?e=529RFD

Thanks,
Allen

Allen - when you cancel things early on in a sequence, I think SGP takes that as cancelling the sequence as a whole. I find I have to do the restart option,(top menu) preserving progress to get things going again.

1 Like

This is what i do too, maybe this restart option could be added as a checkbox during “end sequence”
It might even be a good idea to have this as a default option? I can’t see the harm since when ending a sequence you normally can’t start back up without having issues with focus, centering etc.

1 Like

Hi Buzz, that might be the case, yet I don’t understand the function of the check-box, which explicitly states that if you don’t want the “End of Sequence” steps to run, the uncheck the box. Which imho should then have SGP refrain from going through the “End of Sequnce” procedure.

At present the situation is much like driving to a petrol station. The attendant ask if you want to fill the tank, to which you reply “no” and he fills it anyway.

To me that means, that unclicking the check-box should lead to a check similar to: If check-box positive then run end-of-sequence-procedure else if check-box negative then close message and wait for next user entry.

just the other evening a sequence ended normally and the same end-of-sequnce box pops up. I uncheck the check-box and everything stayed connected, so I could continue by activation other parts of the sequence, as was my intention.

From what I can see in the logfile, really a layman when it come to that, when interrupting something like a plate solve and unchecking the check-box leads to a leads to the rovery process on steroids. Completely ignoring the fact that the check-box has been unchecked. Although my recovery settings are to try every 10 minutes for 120 minutes, SGP runs through the process in seconds and then reaches the conclusion, that the entire process has failed and that it should now run the end of sequence procedures.

So, my theory is, that when trying to terminate an action, such as plate solve, during a sequence, SGP takes the wrong path by ignoring that the check-box has been changed to negativ. SGP should, to my logic, when I uncheck the check-box and press “OK”, stop all further activity and wait for the user to decide what to do next. That way you would not have to do the restart option, but take the necessary corrective actions and then start the sequence again.

It really is quite simple and I’m hoping that one of the developers will chip in and let me know if I’m mistaken or not.

Thanks.

Unchecking that check box will indeed prevent the specific set of configurable end-of-sequence steps from being executed (e.g. parking the mount, warming up the camera, user scripts to close the observatory etc ). It does not prevent the sequence from ending. They are two separate things.

If SGP determines that the sequence needs to end (e.g. encounters an error, can’t recover, user initiates it etc) then it will end the sequence regardless of whether the end -f-sequence-steps check box is checked or not.

You know this for a fact? According to you, the

will not run when unchecking the box. So why does it still happen? Because SGP terminates the sequence anyway? Why? What is the reasoning behind that?
Why does SGP decide that the sequence needs to end (ignoringing the unchecking of the box), when I have merely cancelled a plate solve in order to correct something?
See the logfile attached above. Maybe they are two issues, yet they are not seperate, because running the “End of Sequence” steps without ending the sequence makes no sense and ending the sequence without running the steps could lead to damaged equipment. Both are tied to each other.

All I want to do, is to be able to pause the sequence, make the necessary changes to correct whatever is going wrong and then continue or restart the sequence. In my case the the step that needs to be paused is the plate solve during the start of the sequence. Where’s the problem? Why can’t one do that? Why does SGP need to run the configered steps for the end of the sequence although I’ve explicitly asked for it not to do so?

I think Steve is right.
There is a logic to it, but it may not agree with your view of logical. Once you understand it, you work with it. If I have to abort a sequence before it gets started, the run button still shows ‘resume’. I hit the drop down menu button to reset and preserve and the button goes back to run or play or similar.

Another app I am researching only has a stop button and that is it. If you want end of sequence options you have to, in effect, delete your imaging instructions and run a shut down sequence to do it and run it.

1 Like

Again, I think you’re missing the point here: Unchecking the box will not prevent SGP from ending the sequence, if it determines that ending the sequence is necessary - it will just stop the optional end of sequence events from being executed.

Which configured steps are being run? Are you saying that you have disabled parking the mount, disabled warming up the camera etc, but those steps are still being executed? Or do you mean something else.

But that is prcisesly the point: it does NOT stop the optional end of sequence events from being executed!!!

1. It starts warming up the camera, disconnecting all the equipment and parks the mount. All things I want done once the sequnece has completed.