Help Understanding Switches

I have a Digital Loggers Pro Switch that appears two places in the Switches tab: once at the beginning labelled ASCOM DigitalLoggers WPS Driver where each entry appears correctly and again as Orphaned Switches - (Not installed on this System) where each entry is labelled as Ascom driver for DigitalLoggers Web Power Switch series-0, 1,4, etc.

Why are there two sets of entries? Can the orphaned set be removed?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Kent

SGPro will display switches for any switch device that is currently connected and it will display switches for previously connected devices. Without this last part, SGPro would be unable to structure sequences requiring switches without the actual switch device connected. I am not sure which is which in this case or if maybe there were driver upgrades, driver uninstalls, etc.

You may want to consider destroying the switch cache and letting it rebuild. We can also take a look to see if there is an issue here.

From SGPro Options, click Reset on the bottom left corner and then choose to clear device cache:

image

I did not have a clean install of the DigitalLoggers switch so the orphans are probably left over from that. I will try resetting the cache and go from there. Thanks for the info!

I did send you the profile in my other thread but it may be moot if redoing the cache fixes things.

Kent

That cleared the problem but all my current sequences that are set up with other device values will have to be completely redone, I guess. It would be nice if there was a way to load the switches in separately.

Kent

I take it back. It works fine.

Kent

1 Like

Hi Ken,

I’m still having problems with the orphaned switches even after I clear the cache. I get rid of them but they keep coming back. I have it where they are gone when I start SGP but if I try to load a profile (even one that was saved with them gone) or any sequence, there they are again. Why do they keep coming back? Are the switches saved with the profile or sequence? I need different switch settings for different equipment configurations in different sequences.

Kent

If SGPro keeps re-adding them after you’ve cleared the cache, it could mean that there is some leftover switch data still in your ASCOM profile. Can you check your ASCOM profiles to see if, by chance, you see equipment / drivers still present that should no longer be there? You can do this using the already installed ASCOM Profile Explorer, then on the left, navigate to the switches item and see what’s in there.

It shows the DigitalLoggers switches as ASCOM DigitalLoggers.Switch with the data table for it, a bunch of PegasusAstro switches that I don’t use except for their USB control hub and a RoboFocusServerSwitch (no entry as a Focuser Driver, but it works). Like I said earlier, I didn’t have a clean install of the switches but it looks ok in the Profile Explorer. How/where do you store the switches?

Kent

If I run the sequence, I get an "unable to start … Power switch series-5 and basically won’t go on. It looks like DL has more power switches which have been somehow incorporated into the settings. Pegasus has a similar thing but they don’t get orphaned.
Screenshot 2024-05-16 130051

Hi Ken,

I went back to version 4.3.0.1265 and for whatever reason, the orphaned switches do not show up. I still get the error, though, that SGP is unable to initiate a DigitalLoggers series-5 switch (which now does not show in the list) and waits for operator intervention. This negates the usefulness of automatically controlling the switches.

Kent

The release of v4.4 today has a lot of extra logging enabled for switch discovery that may provide additional insight as to how they get “re-added” after removing the cache. Would you be able to reproduce the issue you describe with v4.4, then after you see it, restart SGPro and validate that you see the issue in the switch tab, If you do, those are the logs we’ll want to see.

I downloaded it and tried it with my working sequnce that does not show the orphaned switches. When I applied a profile to it, the orphaned switches appeared. So I did it again after clearing the cache and they still appeared. Here’s a link to the first case:

Here’s a link to the second case:

1 Like