Mosaic centering will fail after meridian flip

I would have to say no I do not have the problem, not if I start from park (which , in my case I am pointing right at Polaris). It is only after a flip. It is very close to within my 50 pix after the flip but just can’t “close the deal” for centering. I don’t know much about this stuff, but it sure sounds like backlash ?? So from a parked position , there is LESS backlash to deal with ??

I think your suggestion is probably the solution, just increase the 50 to say 80 or so and see what happens. Maybe I should have mentioned this before, it only happens with my 80mm APO not my 8 inch RC. Do you think that has anything to do with it ?

Thanks for the Help

I wouldn’t think so. I would actually think you’d have the issue with the RC vs the APO as the FOV is much narrower (so a smaller target to hit). Maybe the RC is balanced differently?

Thanks,
Jared

It’s backlash. Your mount can only correct for X amount of it based on your mesh. If you’re slewing and seeing the same result, that’s the best you can do without remeshing.

If you think about it, your heavy RC is causing the gears to mesh ‘better’ and is removing the backlash so it can properly center. Your light ED80 can’t take out the slop enough and it’s giving you what it can.

You can test this by adding a 10-20lb weight to your ED80 setup and doing a flip. Or, do something like the G11 guys like to do with a string and a weight around your RA Axis.

thanks mads, I kind of figured that must be the problem . So what do you think , should I want to make it MORE East heavy first and see what happens or do I want to pull the RA Axis down by adding more weigh ?? Or is it just a hit and miss experiment ?

1 Like

I would definitely try an imbalance one direction. It shouldn’t matter which way, you’re just trying to get the gears together.

Another option is a remesh. You might be able to get some of that backlash out.

Or, if your mount can handle it, get an MDS and hang the ED80 off the top of your RC since we know it is meshed well enough with a heavier scope :joy:!

Hi !!

Well you and Jared were right. I rebalanced the scope and all worked just fine after the Flip last night !! Thanks so much
for your help .

1 Like

thanks Jared, you were right , I rebalanced and all went well last night !! :relaxed:

1 Like

I’m glad it worked :fireworks: Take a look at remeshing your mount to remove backlash if you want to use just the smaller scope! Or, use the trick Jared uses (used?) on his G11 with the string and weights.

Chrus

Still use it :slight_smile: (when I use the mount that is :-/ ) had to make a shorter cable for the obs. Some pics in this album.

Thanks,
Jared

1 Like

One of the best implementations I’ve seen.

Failed Flip last night:

well here we go again …looks like a TIME OUT issue so I guess my question is why would it time out ?? I was sitting at the computer watching it , sure didn’t seem like a long time before the flip failed, it even tried the centering routine once and came up with a pixel error of around 1000 , as it was trying a second time it threw the error and parked itself.

Partial Log:

[9/8/2016 3:13:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] PHD2 GetPhdStatus - Post-Wait: Stopped
[9/8/2016 3:14:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] PHD2 - No messages received from PHD2 for 1 minute, checking socket with status…
[9/8/2016 3:14:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] Checking PHD2 state…
[9/8/2016 3:14:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] PHD2 GetPhdStatus - Pre-Wait : Stopped
[9/8/2016 3:14:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] Sending to PHD2:
{“method”: “get_app_state”, “id”: 1001}

[9/8/2016 3:14:42 AM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] PHD2 GetPhdStatus - Post-Wait: Stopped
[9/8/2016 3:15:16 AM] [DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Aborting solver frame. Time out!
[9/8/2016 3:15:16 AM] [DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Aborting auto center…
[9/8/2016 3:15:16 AM] [DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Auto center aborted, closing centering dialog…
[9/8/2016 3:15:16 AM] [DEBUG] [Pier Flip Thread] Recovery mode invoked but sequence is flagged as aborted, aborting recovery…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Blocking Pier Flip: Failed to meridian flip, aborting sequence (True)
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Adding sequence level notification: Failed to meridian flip, aborting sequence.
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Pier Flip Thread] Meridian Flip: Procedure complete
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Handling monitoring event (Email 1, Error): (M31 80mm 2 panel Mosaic Andromeda Galaxy) Failed to meridian flip, aborting sequence.
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] TEMP - Current Event3: 1
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] TEMP - Current Event10: 1
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] SBIG Camera: end exposure called…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] SBIG Camera: end readout…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Run event requested sequence abort…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Clearing timed monitoring events…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Checking RunEndOfSequenceEquipmentOptions, force = True
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] In RunEndOfSequenceEquipmentOptions
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Stopping auto guiding…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Attempting to stop PHD2 guiding…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Checking PHD2 state…
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] PHD2 GetPhdStatus - Pre-Wait : Stopped
[9/8/2016 3:15:25 AM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Sending to PHD2:
{“method”: “get_app_state”, “id”: 1001}

I can provide a complete log if needed.

Thanks !!

You need the full logs. Did you see the plate solve picture? My guess is the Stars weren’t settled and it streaked.

thanks Mads,

I increased the settle time from 30 to 45 seconds and it seemed to work last night. Guess I have a very slow mount. :slight_smile:

thanks again.

1 Like

I tried the newest beta last night (2.6.0.2) , after the Flip it went through the centering routine and did maybe 6 tries before she solved within my margin of error (50 pixels) , BUT after 2 hours of imaging I realized that it was no where near being centered on the target …HELP ??? I think the RA was way off , I did a quick re-centering routine and it was fine after ONE try.

starts around 12:11:51 am

Happy New Year !!

Dennis

Yikes… multi-target bug… I’ll fix and get something out shortly.

Ok… should be addressed in 2.6.0.3. Thanks for the report.

Thanks Ken, Happy NEW Year !!

I tried the 2.6.0.3 , it did flip and center, but the centering seemed WAY more than my 50 pixel limit and when I centered later manually it was much closer to the original centering before the flip.

Around 9:39:22

thanks,

Dennis

@Dennis1951

Took a look through the logs and it seems SGPro is doing what it should. Slew, solve repeat. It might be an issue with your EQMOD setup. There is no convergence which usually indicates that SGPro is fighting with a model.

Hi Ken,

When you say …Look at your EQMOD setup…do you have any suggestions as to what might be messed up to cause a “convergence” problem . I have eqmod setup according to your help file suggestions. I had the same problem the next night so I just clicked on Try Again and it solved the problem with ONE extra try .

thanks,

Dennis