New license model

A couple of questions about the new model.

I have owned SGPro since last November and have been finding it very good for my imaging.
I am concerned that when I next use SGPro outside, I will find that it won’t run properly and I will waste valuable imaging time in changing license details. Is that likely to happen? I am only running SGPro on the original laptop I bought it on. I am expecting to be imaging tonight.

I understood when I bought it that I would get the remainder of the version 3 updates anyway.

I’m quite happy to subscribe eventually. The cost showing on my account is $63 ish whereas in the email you sent it would be $59. What currency is being used. I live in the UK so exchange rates will affect what I would pay annually.

Finally, how long do I have to decide whether to subscribe? I don’t want to have any issues because of lack of bug fixes, particularly as it is now coming to prime imaging time in the UK.

I would have contacted you directly but the contact form for license issues area appears not to be working properly, I can only put a subject title in, no text after that.

I have the same problem here. I read about the change so fired up my imaging laptop and it shows an expired licence, I too am supposed to be inamging tonight.

I’m suspecting it won’t work tonight.

And I can’t see a way to licence my 3.1 install.

Mine is showing a license for v3.1, mosaics etc were included when I bought it. I need it to work tonight as I wanted a few more subs for my Heart nebula. After that there aren’t any clear skies for a while.

Some other forums have posts about the change.

The registration server is also trying to charge me $149 now and then a recurring $59, even though I paid for v3.

The total is $59.00. My worry is that they have adopted the Siruis/XM model and will automatically charge my account! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

No, using SGP when disconnected from the internet is a very normal thing to do.

Currency is USD.

You can decide when you like. As a SGP3 purchaser you will only incur the subscription cost and not a “upgrade” or additional purchase. You can subscribe when there is a new feature you want.

Jared

If I understand correctly, I can upgrade to v3.2.600 but I’ll need to copy in the new activation code. Will my 3.1 version stay installed just in case I have an issue?
Incidentally I do have internet in my observatory, I don’t normally disconnect my wifi when imaging. Will that cause me a problem tonight?

No, 3.2 will install over 3.1

No, should be just fine to leave it on. We had some initial hiccups with the activation server that required people to turn off wifi but those issues have been resolved.

Jared

Dear all I have a different problem:
As from your email about new licensing policy I have downloaded and installed SGPro 3.2.

Activation went good, so I don’t have problems in using it.

BUT, I bought SGPro on 25th november 2019, so the 1 year subscription expires on 24 th november 2020, but SGPro tells me that my subscription is expired!!!
Am I loosing over 2 month of free updates and support?

Thank you for your reply.

Edoardo

You are not. Most of the changes do not go into affect until SGP4 is released. You will always get SGP3 updates at no cost or subscription for life.

Jared

1 Like

Thank you Jared.
Since you are so kind, I have another question:
My idea, after 25th november, is to subscribe for SGPro updates.

Will I still be able to use version 3 if I suspend my subscription in 2022 or 2023 or later?

Thank you
Edoardo

I’m I hearing right that you are moving to a subscription model ?

I don’t do subscriptions will I be able to keep using the existing version until I can find new software?

JaredFounder & Developer

16h

You are not. Most of the changes do not go into affect until SGP4 is released. You will always get SGP3 updates at no cost or subscription for life.

Jared

If you have SGP 3 and paid for it you will keep it for life with no subscription.
There are new activation codes though so make sure you download the new version so it works when are ready to image, nothing worse than not being able to image while you download and get stuff sorted
Micheal

Yes you will be able to use the most recent version of SGP at the time your subscription ends for life. The subscription does NOT apply to SGP3. That will only be SGP4.

Jared

1 Like

Ok thanks, gives me time to evaluate NINA and others before moving. It’s a shame you are going to subscriptions, they may work for businesses but not individuals. £500 over 10 years is too much if all software goes subscription we will all end up paying £thousands over time for software that is often used rarely. I don’t mind buying software and paying for occasional upgrades but I’m not paying an annual subscription.

I don’t understand your maths…who is saying that you have to pay a subscription every year?

This is not a “true” annual subscription. Once your subscription expires you can still use SGP. You’re basically only paying when you want to update versions or if you want access to the Premium Support area.

Jared

Clear as mud - here’s a snip from the email I received…

So, will you be continuing to update SGP3?

Any reason you left out the next 2 bullets?

For time time being, Yes. But at some point we will stop releasing regular fixes to SGP3, just like we did for SGP2.

Jared