Overscan in fits files from Canon R6mk2

When downloading images from my Canon EOS R6mk2 the fit files include the sensor overscan region (I get black borders down the left side, along the top, and a white line down the right border). These seem to prevent the auto stretch and star analysis functions from working properly. I can get autofoacus to still work by setting an edge exclusion but it’s not ideal.
Is there any way of stopping the overscan region from being incuded?
Thanks.
Graham.

Not when using the CFA data. If you change the format in the canon settings to use the CR2/3 format then that should remove the overscan.

Jared

Hi Jared. Thanks for your help.

I’ve been saving both fit and raw files while I’ve been testing. If I open one of the CR3 files in SGP it still opens with the overscan showing. Isn’t this a function of the RAW decoder that SGP is using?

Graham.

You are right. If at all available, an overscan region is stored in proprietary raw format files (e.g. Canon’s CR2). The behavior (discard or display the overscan region) should be settable in the application that opens such a file. The used raw image decoding software, e.g. LibRaw, then is instructed to remove or maintain this region.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd.
Does anyone know what raw decoder SGP uses or if the option settings can be changed by the user? My images have quite a high background level which makes the black borders really prominent and messes up many of the analysis functions.

Graham.

In April 2020, Jared posted that SGP moved to LibRaw (at that time not yet released), see Support for Fuji X-T2 or X-T1?.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd.
It looks like LibRaw supported the Canon R6mk2 from December 22, but I don’t know what version SGP may be using.
I’m hoping Jared might come back with some more information!

Graham.