Sesto Senso 2 100000 Limit

Hi, I am quite ‘green’ with SGP and have recently fitted a Sesto Senso 2 to my Skywatcher 120ED refractor. I have calibrated it in the proprietary PrimaLuceLab (PLL) software and found the racked out maximum to be around 191000 and focus to be achieved around 131000.

When connecting to the focuser with SGP it reads back the current position of the focuser ok, however when I tried to follow the set-up guide for auto-focus to calculate the step size required as soon as I tried to move the focus position out SGP gave me the 100000 step size error and pulled the focuser into the 100000 position. I move the focuser to 80000 and then tried to go beyond 100000 as an experiment but SGP overrode my manual focus point choice maxing out at 100000.

I have been looking and have been unable to find a workaround apart from not using the focuser with SGP. I did see one post on another forum which linked to a Twitch stream where PLL apparently described a fix but unfortunately that link is dead.

I also noted that the temperature initially reports back from the focuser as -273 degrees taking a couple of minutes before the reading is correct, this is the same for my weather box that is attached, not too worried about this behaviour, only mentioned it in case it is abnormal behaviour.

I have attached a link to the log where I tried the above.
Logfile on OneDrive

Hope the info is helpful to finding a solution or to point out where I may have missed something as I was setting up the focuser within SGP.

Kind regards
Matt

It looks like your ASCOM Driver is telling SGP that the farthest out the focuser can go is 100000 steps:

[07/12/20 23:33:37.123][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Focuser reports max steps as: 100000

There should be a setting in your ASCOM driver where you can change this value to something larger that makes sense for your focuser. It should be the position where your focuser is completely racked out.

Jared

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me, sorry to be a pain, but how would I go about changing the setting in the ASCOM driver?
Kind regards
Matt

In SGP you can click the “Settings” button next to the focuser and it should be in there…this is Focuser Sim but I assume it’s similar:

Jared

I had inadvertently looked here before, for some reason the ASCOM driver provided by PLL only gives an option to change the COM port and request logging. The weather is against me at the moment but the image of the disconnected focuser is the same to what I had the other evening.

Unless you know of anything else to try I think I’ll fire off an email to PLL for support on their driver(s).
Thanks again for your help.
Matt

Unfortunately I’m not familiar enough with the device. Sounds like an email to PLL is in order, I’m sure they can set you straight. It looks like there is a calibration procedure in their application…probably need to run that or something? I’m not entirely sure.

Jared

No worries, thanks for your help. I will post how I get on with PLL.
Regards
Matt

Matt. I had the same problem with the Sesto Senso 2 focuser. I tried everything. I found a work around. All I did was shortened the amount of total steps. I new where focus was on the focuser which on my case was almost all the way out. I just started the calibration less than all the way in. So the total steps was less then 100,000. I hit focus around 80,000 instead of 130,000 if I did a full calibration. I hope that makes sense
Roy

Thanks for the advice Roy, I will give it a go if the skies clear here. Quite embarrassed as I’m in engineering and didn’t think of that, d’oh!

Jared, I had a reply from PLL, they say the problem has been fixed in the latest version of SGP, I will double check but I believe I am running the latest version, and send the problem back to PLL.

Kind regards
Matt

The issue they’re referring to was fixed a while back. And it was with being able to set values >100,000 in SGP. This is a little different and appears that the focuser is only reporting a max step of 100,000. I just double checked with the simulator and made sure that SGP is not truncating this value. Using the ASCOM sim SGP reads values over 100,000 just fine.

Thanks,
Jared

I thought I was running the latest also. I couldn’t find a way to set max greater than 100000 with the Sesto Senso 2

Roy

I emailed PLL as well with this issue. We’ll get it figured out.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks Jared, I’m sure its something their end.
Kind regards
Matt

Jared. Did you ever get a reply from Prima Luce
Roy

They said they were looking into it. I’ll follow up.

Jared

1 Like

I too am getting the exact same error
I try it from my rough focus position of 111500 and SGP pulls it back to 100000 then fails as it goes past 100000 and receives the maximum range exceeded error
So…
I tried it from the fully racked in 0 position and it also failed, because it attempted to go to -1200 and clearly that wont work either.

SGP is reading the correct values from FocusManager prior to me disconnecting Focusmanager to give control to the com port over to SGP

Any help will be muchly appreciated

Just try what I suggested in reply #7. Just shorten the length of travel of the focuser so there’s less than 100,000 steps total with your focus somewhere in between 0 and 100,000

@Ohills
I’m already starting the focus procedure at position 111500 racked out to position 7.5 out of a total of 11 on the actual focuser
SGP brings the focuser back to position 100000, then complains that extending the focus out to 101200 exceeds the threshold of 100000 reported to be the maximum of the SS2

Is this what you meant?

Can you all supply your ASCOM log for the focuser as well as the SGP log?

Thank you,
Jared

No start your calibration at 7.5 which would be zero and go out to 11. End at 11. Thats if your focus point is somewhere between 7.5 and 11. Hopefully the number of steps will be less than 100,000. This is a new calibration
Roy