Trouble with CEM25p

Hi, I bought a 2nd mount (Cem25p) and laptop to travel with and I’m trying to figure out my mount connection in SGPRO.

I downloaded the Ascom/Commander software from Ioptron and for whatever reason when I try to connect to the mount in SGP it connects and pops up a message that Commander has control.

It will even connect with that pop up without any gear connected to the PC

Should I have not loaded that commander software and uninstall it?

It seems to be in front of SGP and not allowing a true connection.

Thanks

Sean

I’m in a real quandary here so if anyone might have some feedback I would greatly appreciate it

I have had SGP working with an iEQ30Pro in the past, so it must be possible. I cannot recall how I did it. Since SGP is using the ASCOM interface, this is more than likely not an SGP issue per se. Might be worth dropping a line in a user group forum for iOptron. Chances are someone out there can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Your right. I’m digging around on YouTube on the commander software. I’m used to Losmandy and also EQmod for my NEQ6.

Looks like I need to connect to commander and do whatever mount control settings there like I do when I use EQmod.

Great… another software to learn.

Thanks for responding

Sean

yes, I had a look at the iOptron website and refreshed the grey cells. The commander is also the ASCOM driver it seems.

I have the same sort of issue - an ASCOM driver for TSX and TSX controlling the mount. Having said that, I have just thrown (not quite literally) my MyT onto a tripod and set it up with SGP. I never needed to touch TheSkyX - it just works in the background. I am reasonably polar aligned already and the computer time is accurate - I just use SGP to center and sync and away it goes. TSX gets muddled by external syncs, so I use the ‘target offset’ setting in SGP. Centering error was within 5 pixels.

I have the CEM25P working with the Commander Software and SGP for over a year without issues. Which version of the Commander are you using?

The CEM25P is connected to the PC via the connection on the Hand Box and not directly to the mount as with other iOptron mounts. When the commander starts you should either have to enter the COM Port number or have the comander look for it automatically. Once found a second Commander interface appears and you can see that the mount is then connected to the PC. You can then connect it to SGP. Usually works like a dream for all of my CEM mounts.

Yeah that sounds right. I’m just new to this. What you explained is what is happening. Shouldn’t I have to go into Commander and tell it to allow corrections from PHD? Where I got concerned was after all the stuff hooked up and I got that pop up window from SGP saying Commander has control I felt we were on our way. But then I disconnected everything from the laptop and opened SGP and just to check I clicked on mount connection and it connected. I thought that was weird which is why I posted.

It’s been so long since I used eqmod to control my old NEQ6 that I had forgotten about other software packets controlling your mount. I forget that Gemini II does it all for me with my Losmandy.

I’m going to give it a try this evening if the clouds disappear from the left overs of Saturday’s Hurricane Delta.

Thanks for all of you giving me your thoughts. I was riding around on my mower a few minutes ago and thought to myself that I once again asked a stupid question on SGP.!

Sean

no such thing as a stupid question - we have all been there… and sometimes return!

1 Like

Thanks Buzz I appreciate it. It’s funny I can go out with my Losmandy G11 and RC8 and get on target and shoot Narrowband all night with plate solving but I cannot seem to operate a tiny little CEM25.