Unable to set Offset in event settings via ASCOM (ASI 2600MM Pro)

My Ascom is up to date (6.5 SP1 - 6.5.1.3234), my ZWO camera driver is up to date (3.16) and my ZWO Ascom driver is up to date (6.5.1.8). I still can’t set the Offset on an event-by-event basis, my only choice is NA regardless of whether I’m connected to the camera or not.

Link to Logs

Useful Info

Ver: 4.0.0.680
.NET: 4.8
ASCOM: 6.5.1.3234

Same problem here with an ASI2600MC Pro. The offset values in both Equipment Profile and sequence are grayed out and not editable. No OFFSET keyword is written to the FITS file.

Ver: 4.0.0.680
.NET: 4.8
ASCOM: 6.5.1.3174

Bernd

[08/01/21 10:01:38.204][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] ASCOM Camera gains list, min: 0; max: 100
[08/01/21 10:01:38.205][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offset list, checking min / max...
[08/01/21 10:01:38.207][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offsets from min / max.  Failed to get camera offset! : Property read ASCOM.ASICamera2.Camera OffsetMin is not implemented in this driver. (System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80020006): Unknown name. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80020006 (DISP_E_UNKNOWNNAME))
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 242)
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 264
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_OffsetMin() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 1748
   at ub.nt()
[08/01/21 10:01:38.207][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Camera does not implement ASCOM offset.

It looks like the driver is not exposing the Offsets in the ASCOM driver. Unfortunately ZWO will need to correct this in their ASCOM driver. I also checked my ASI6200MC and it is the same. I’m not sure if their driver has regressed or what. At some point certain cameras did support it.

And just to confirm that SGP is at least attempting to do the right thing here. Below is the output when using the ASCOM Camera v2 simulator with Offsets enabled and set to min/max (the typical offset scenario).

[DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offset list, checking min / max...
[DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] ASCOM Camera offsets list, min: 0; max: 100

Jared

Thanks Jared. I posted the issue over at ZWO’s forums. Hopefully they come up with something.

https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/12956-latest-zwo-ascom-driver-isnt-supporting-offset-correctly

Thank you very much for the reply, Jared. Indeed, inspecting the FITS headers of of several sessions I found out that on June 13, 2021 using SGP 4.0.0.668 and ZWO’s ASCOM camera driver 6.5.1.5 the keyword OFFSET with the correct value of 50 was present in the FITS header. Later, using the same SGP version with ZWO’s ASCOM camera driver 6.5.1.7 or 6.5.1.8, or SGP 4.0.0.680 with ZWO’s ASCOM camera driver 6.5.1.8, the keyword OFFSET is missing.

I will put a bug report in the ZWO forum.

Bernd

Hi Jared,

I dscribed the issue in the ZWO forum. For the sake of completeness I post the text here as well:

This is the software that I ran last night:
Windows 10 Pro
.NET Framework Version: 4.8
ASCOM Platform version: 6.5.1.3174
ZWO ASCOM camera driver 6.5.1.8
SGP v4.0.0.680

In SGP the offset value cannot be altered, neither in a sequence nor in the equipment profile. No FITS keyword OFFSET is written to the FITS header.

In the SGP logfile, I found the following passage:

[08/02/21 21:47:42.887][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offset list, checking min / max...
[08/02/21 21:47:42.893][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offsets from min / max.  Failed to get camera offset! : Property read ASCOM.ASICamera2_2.Camera OffsetMin is not implemented in this driver. (System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80020006): Unbekannter Name. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80020006 (DISP_E_UNKNOWNNAME))
   bei System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)
   bei System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
   bei ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:Zeile 242.)
   bei ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:Zeile 264.
   bei ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_OffsetMin() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:Zeile 1748.
   bei ub.nt()
[08/02/21 21:47:42.893][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Camera does not implement ASCOM offset.

Today I reverted to the ZWO ASCOM camera driver 6.5.1.5 (this is the version that is shown in the Windows control panel. When I change settings, the software identifies itself as “ASICamera Setup V6.5.17.1” though!). Other software is unchanged. Now in SGP the offset value can be altered both in a sequence and in the eqipment profile. The FITS keyword OFFSET is written to the FITS headers.

In the SGP logfile the corresponding passage now reads:

[08/03/21 11:46:00.578][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] Failed to fetch ASCOM camera offset list, checking min / max...
[08/03/21 11:46:00.581][DEBUG][Main Thread][NONE] ASCOM Camera offsets list, min: 0; max: 50

So definitely a request for the ASCOM camera offset list leads to an exception in case of ZWO ASI camera driver 6.5.1.8, whereas the request is responded in case of ZWO ASI camera driver 6.5.1.5.

Other software being identical, the ZWO ASCOM camera driver behaves in a different manner.

I do not know who is right or wrong. However, if you have a clue what went wrong (either in SGP or the driver), please contact Jared from SGP in order that this incompatibility can be fixed. Thank you!

Addendum:
tech@ZWO confirmed that their developers have made “some changes with the latest ASCOM” and that they will try to find a way to solve this.

@Jared
tech@ZWO replied to my question, why other software (he mentioned MDL and NINA) do not have this issue:

Only SGP need ICameraV3 to enable offset which other software only need ICameraV2.

I can’t do anything with this comment, but perhaps you can?

Bernd

Hi
I had the same issue with my ASI2600MM.
I sent a mail to ZWO and they answered they never encountered this problem…
Keep us advise if you get the solution.
Clear skies.
JM

@bulrichl

Unfortunately, the response from ZWO tech support is incorrect. No imaging app using the ASCOM camera interface can set gain and offset in a camera without using ASCOM v6.5 SP1 and the vendor’s camera driver must be ICameraV3 compliant. ICameraV2 drivers DO NOT have support for camera offsets – period.

If NINA has hard coded direct support for ZWO cameras (that is, not using ASCOM) then NINA can do anything it wants as long as they are willing to invest the time and effort needed to write all that code.

It is my understanding that ZWO does have an ICameraV3 compliant ASCOM driver. It may simply be that your ASCOM camera driver is not the most recent available from ZWO?

Charlie

No, it does not work with the most recent driver but it is ok with the old one (v6.5.1.5)
JM

@chasmiller46

Maybe that the response from ZWO tech support which I only reproduced here is not correct. I don’t know the ASCOM camera driver specifications. However, what I wrote from my experience is true: when using ZWO’s ASCOM camera drivers v6.5.1.7 and v6.5.1.8 (this is the most recent driver) you cannot control offset from SGP, but with the older v6.5.1.5 you can. THIS was my point, and I wanted to spread this information. I also provided the information about the ASCOM version which I used.

The ZWO technician has provided this driver version in the ZWO forum, category Software/SDK & Driver, thread Latest ZWO ASCOM driver isn't supporting offset correctly - ZWO User Forum . It is no longer distributed in their website Software and Drivers – ZWO ASI though.

Bernd

My new ZWO ASI 2600 with the latest ASCOM (6.5 SP1) and ZWO’s ASCOM driver limits the gain to 100. ZWO did this intentionally, and they are unwilling to change this, claiming that they limit gain to 100 to maximize dynamic range. They told me to use Sharpcap instead of SGP as it uses the native camera driver, which allows me to set the gain over the camera’s entire range. I know that SGP is longer supporting native cameras drivers and it does not find it for the ASI 2600. However, since I am now paying for a subscription, would you consider adding the 2600 and 6200 native driver support? Otherwise, I cannot make good use of the 2600 in SGP until if and when ZWO changes their ASCOM driver. Also, I was hoping that the SGP ASCOM support would allow Offset to be set correctly on the camera. Another reason to support some of the more popular camera native drivers.

Mark W

The funny part is that both of the limitations that you’ve mentioned are 100% in ZWOs ASCOM driver and would work perfectly well with SGP if they implement them. SGP supports Offset. At one point the ZWO ASCOM driver did as well but they have either messed something up there or they have decided to pull it out of their ASCOM driver. If you go back a couple of versions of ZWO ASCOM drivers you can find one where the Offset works just fine.

It seems that ZWO isn’t really sure what they want to do with their drivers. If limiting the Gain is so important to dynamic range then why ONLY do this in the ASCOM driver and not just implement it in the native driver so it’s a limitation for all systems?

Jared

Just checking to see if any headway has been made with the ZWO ASCOM driver exposing OFFSET? is this working for anyone?

1 Like

So far, no change with Offset OR setting gain > 100 with the ASCOM driver. ZWO seems to be much less responsive to suggestions and requests than they used to be.

Again, any hope to start to support native ZWO drivers again?

Mark W

I have it working using a mishmash of ZWO drivers. Currently I’m using SGPro 4.0.0.680. I see there’s an updated version but I’m going to stick with what’s working for now.

My ASCOM install is Platform 6.5 SP1 - 6.5.1.3234.

ZWO Camera driver for the 2600MM = I’m using the older driver from the 6.5.1.5 ASCOM driver.
For my ZWO filter wheel the 6.5.1.5 version of the ASCOM driver didn’t work, so for the filter wheel I’m using the 6.5.1.8 driver.

Fortunately when you’re installing the ASCOM ZWO drivers you’re able to check the boxes for whether you want to install all the drivers (Camera, Filter Wheel, etc) or just a la carte… go a la carte and use the 6.5.1.5 camera version (uncheck the filter wheel so you don’t install the 6.5.1.5 version for the filter wheel) and then download the 6.5.1.8 version for the filter wheel (uncheck the camera option so you don’t install 6.5.1.8 version for the camera).

So far this combination has been working appropriately with setting the offset on a per event basis in SGP as well as reporting the offset in the file header.

EDIT: edit to say this only addresses the offset issue. It does not allow gain to go above 100, but I don’t personally feel I need this at this time.

@Ken, @Jared

I want to take up this older thread, because this issue is still unsolved.

After the state of the parallel thread in ZWO’s forum https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/12956-latest-zwo-ascom-driver-isnt-supporting-offset-correctly was set to “Answered” in October 2021, further posts of users were ignored by ZWO. So I created a new thread yesterday:

bulrichl Jan 25, 2022

@Sam@ZWO

As a user of Sequence Generator Pro (version 4), I feel pretty annoyed that several posts about issues of newer ZWO drivers with the adjustment of the offset parameter in a sequence are not answered adequately. This concerns camera driver version > 3.16 AND ASCOM version > 6.5.1.5. The thread https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/12956-latest-zwo-ascom-driver-isnt-supporting-offset-correctly was marked as “Answered” by ZWO staff in Ocotber 2021 although the problem is not yet solved. Subsequent posts were ignored.

Please take a look and make sure that this problem will be solved soon. Thanks.

Bernd

… and this was the answer:

tech@zwo Jan 26, 2022

Edited

Hi Bernd,
Sorry to tell you since SGP will not change ICameraV3 API, if we keep this just for the sake of offset in SGP(only SGP) , then there are many other users who using relatively old computers and do not use SGP, to them, this is completely unusable(compatibility issue), so this is a “weigh the pros and cons” situation, currently the reasonable solution is to ensure “usable” first, so downgrade to ICameraV2 API lead to this offset thing is still unsettled.

I am not knowledgeable about the differences of “ICameraV2 API” and “ICameraV3 API” (apparently differing ASCOM standard API versions). However, in my view this situation is unbearable: it would mean that SGP users are excluded from using newer versions of ZWO camera drivers, which would also prevent the use of newly released ZWO camera models.

I have done what I was able to do. It is up to SGP and ZWO to solve this dilemma.

Bernd

There seems to be some incorrect information there. ICameraV3 is what added the Offset…so if their driver is still using the V2 implementation then that basically means they’re not exposing Offset.

It sounds like they specifically reverted to the ICameraV2 implementation as they were having issues with compatibility with older platform versions. While I guess that could be true that seems like a rather weak argument to make. The ASCOM Driver installer can even check for a specific platform version and prompt the user to upgrade :man_shrugging:

But they are correct. We would need a ICameraV3 driver to be able to work with Offset and it sounds like they’ve purposefully downgraded their driver. I would assume that any ASCOM compliant software would not be able to read Offsets from their cameras when using the ASCOM driver. It’s really a shame as this was working a while back.

Can you link your new post on the ZWO forum here? I’ll try to follow up with them and see if we can get this sorted out.

Jared

Of course, this is the link: Issues with adjusting Offset - ZWO User Forum

Thank you for looking into that! Hopefully it can be sorted out.

Bernd

@Jared
Is there any communication between ZWO and SGP developers regarding camera drivers and offset, any new insight?

Bernd