Version 4 vs Version 3

I’m sure this is answered somewhere already, but I couldn’t find it.

I am currently using Sequence Generator 3.2.0.660 and generally am quite satisfied (I have been using SG for perhaps ten years now). I do get the periodic invitation to upgrade to version 4, but, especially given the annual license fee, am not inclined.

But I can’t find any clear comparison of features. The area that I would probably find most helpful is in the area of “automatic” control (i.e., setting up the system to begin and execute a sequence). I have done a bit of that and am generally satisfied except in the area of error recovery. My scope does have a tendency to every once in a while jerk, losing the PhD Guide Star (or the camera fails on a sequence of images). There is a recovery mode in 3.0 but if I understand it correctly, it waits a long time to attempt recovery (I think at least 20 minutes); why not allow me to set the time to maybe a minute or something, then the system would attempt recenter and proceed on.

Additionally I would like to set a parameter that says that, if the image is off by more than some user-definable distance (in pixels), the sequence will abort that image and restart. If it can’t find a star immediately, it would then do a full recovery, but if it’s just a few pixels off (less than some user-definable value), it would simply wait for the autoguider to settle and then restart. I usually have to do this a few times each imaging sessions “manually”.

It wouldn’t surprise to learn that the recovery is improved (probably in ways I haven’t thought of). Can I get some clear guidance on the more obscure comparisons of Version 4 and Version 3?

Thanx.

Hi there,

For automation, version 4 has it all. Be aware that it mostly depends on ASCOM for this, so device manufacturers “ pull the strings” on what configuration you are able to assemble.

I have set my sequence recovery to attempt every 5 minutes for 660 minutes, to get the most out of partly cloudy nights.

Flexible auto center settings for my 22 year old mount enable it to be off by “X” amount of pixels the user determines. Be sure to enter you pixel scale and image size in the camera settings in the Equipment Manager.

I have been told SGP renewal licenses cover all installations and also it is 1 per installation and also that one can keep using SGP without renewing it. There is a bit of confusion about this.

Clear Skies,

Paul

Thanx. 3.0 has both of these features.

The key things I am seeking are:

1. aborting and restarting if, during an imagining, the guide star is off by more than n pixels (say 3). (Right now I frequently abort an image after a guiding deviance of 5 pixels, etc., and then restart – but that is manually). Ideally there would be two settings: deviance error (in pixels) and how many in a row (so it could tolerate 1,2, or even 3 deviances in a row – in my set up, where I have a low minimum motion for guiding, I will get an apparent deviance if there is a camera error, but PhD won’t try much correction and if the deviance wasn’t real, no harm done).

2. a recovery attempt at a shorter interval than 5 minutes (I said in my first entry it was 20 minutes, but what it does is try every five minutes for up to 600 minutes…

3. and, not mentioned in my original post, a better explanation after I get a message that “something went wrong”. This would probably be difficult since the array of things that can “go wrong” is probably almost infinite!

Hi again,

I took a screenshot of the equipment manager auto guide section. Anything look new?

Yep. The "Restart current frame when … is great! That might make upgrading worth it all by itself for me!
On steady nights, a low pixel value; on windy nights a higher value!

Going to be away from the system for a couple months, but will definitely look into it in August/Sept!

Thanx!

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t 3.2 already have that feature to restart a frame of guiding gets too poor? The layout of the page is indeed different but I don’t think there is anything there that isn’t in what I already have.

I came here for the same reason you have. I was grandfathered in with 3.2 and have so far declined signing up for yet another subscription. But now that I’ve got a flat panel and an auto focuser in looking at upgrading but I have yet to see a clear list of what features or benefits I would see day one if I signed up for the subscription. I’m looking for a something like bulleted list of features added or improved since 3.2. All I can really tell is 64 bit version.

This is true… that has been around for a long time.

In the strictest sense of the word, SGPro does have a subscription, but in reality it isn’t required… For instance, if you signed up for a “subscription” and then immediately canceled it, you’d get SGPro updates for 12 months, but afterward you’d be able to use whatever version of SGPro your have forever… This isn’t really all that much different than a pay once to upgrade system because you can treat it exactly like that if you want.

Yes, we really should do something like this. This isn’t the most formal or well organized list, but hopefully it will suffice for now.

• (Currently in Beta) - AutoFlats: a comprehensive tool that will allow you to (almost) never have to consider flats again.
  • (Currently in Beta) - Custom user horizon definition via easy-to-use UI
  • (Currently in Beta) - Star eccentricity measurements
  • (Currently in Beta) - Image inspection grid: Quickly see all the most important parts of your image at high levels of zoom and no scrolling!
  • (Currently in Beta) - Image Eccentricity Heatmap: Easily activate an image overlay that shows, at-a-glance “hot zones” for eccentricity (colimation issue, alignment, etc)
  • (Currently in Beta) - Support for Below the Pole Meridian Flips.
  • Massive UI changes that support theming options suitable for nighttime use.
  • Full support for 64-bit systems (as long as all your drivers are 64-bit)
  • Support for 64-bit PinPoint 7
  • Full support for the ASCOM Switch interface; control all of your Switches directly from within SGPro
  • Full support for the PrimaLuce Eagle switch interface; control all of your Switches directly from within SGPro
  • Added switch state profiles to the sequence where you can set specific switch states for sequence start and sequence end.
  • Addition of several new FITS headers
  • Use of ASTAP as an Auto Focus metrics provider
  • New target tooltip and status icons; see almost everything you want to know about a target without opening Target Settings
  • Better target settings UI layout
  • Flats calibration wizard overhaul; stability, reliability; better integration with flat boxes
  • A much more useful and better organized toolbar
  • A better loading experience: UI changes to convey status more accurately, but, more importantly, removes any notion of target caps (SGPro now loads very large sequences in the background while you use the app).
  • Support for the latest version of Good Night System
  • SGPro notification system is once again compatible with gmail accounts via oauth.
  • Updated to the latest Canon and Nikon SDKs (to support the latest versions)
  • Support for Sequence Templating. It’s like an Equipment Profile, but also includes Events.
  • New Auto Focus trigger based on HFR metric degradation
  • Drag and drop reordering of Targets
  • Drag and drop reordering of Events
  • Event Image Session History; For any event see a history of HFR and Start count just for the current session (troubleshooting)
  • Resizable FITS header dialog.
  • Resizable Image Grader window
  • Added a sequence status icon that, when hovered, will show additional sequence information (last used Equipment Profile, Current User Profile and Last Save Date).
  • Ambient temperature (as reported by the environment device) can now be used as a file naming token.
  • Instead of a single 30 minute timeout (safety) period when attempting to move from one event to the next, SGPro will use more precise timeout periods to track possible meridian flips, auto focus runs, filter changes, flat box changes and guider actions individually.
  • The Mosaic and Framing Wizard can now add the initial panel to the canvas by using the numeric tile count fields at the bottom of the Mosaic Control Panel.
  • The Mosaic and Framing Wizard can now center the existing capture area on the canvas via the context (right-click menu).
  • The Mosaic and Framing Wizard can now create or reset to a single, centered mosaic on the canvas via the context (right-click menu).
  • Added support for importing targets from TheSkyX export.
  • So, so many bug fixes…
  • Many, many quality of life changes. Small things like better workflows, better error messaging, etc
  • Many, many stability enhancements…

Sources: