SGPro 4.4.1 Update - Switch Delays and Bugs

The first maintenance release in the 4.4.X series will deal with switches. Specifically:

Sequencing Delays

You’ll now be able to specify any arbitrary amount of time that SGPro will wait prior to starting the sequence. This can be for any reason but is typically requested in order to allow for initialization cycles for gear in your rig gated by power switches.

For instance, the screenshot below sets sequence start state and then allows your gear a full 30 seconds to initialize before starting the sequence (and attempting to connect to required gear)

You can get to these settings by clicking on the gear icon on the top left of the switch list:

Ordering Delays

For switch states that exist within the same grouping (e.g. start states or end states), you’ll now be able to enforce an ordering for setting the desired states. The unit here that governs the ordering is “seconds” in that the intent is to say: After starting the sequence, this switch will wait some number of seconds prior to attempting to set the desired state.

It is important to note that the “seconds” values used for ordering are approximations and their accuracy depends heavily upon the state setting requests that occur before it. In other words, if you have a request to set state for Switch 1 at Start + 5 sec and Switch 2 at Start + 10 sec, but Switch 1 is having some kind of trouble and takes 30 sec to resolve, Switch 2 state will be set immediately afterward (as close as possible to the requested delay, but completely missing the requested Start + 10 sec request).

You should interpret orderding delays as timing requests that may or may not be fulfilled. While you cannot depend on the exact time of a switch state, you can depend on the implied ordering to be honored. In other words, using the example above, even if the exact timing for Switch 1 and Switch 2 cannot be honored, you can be rest-assured that SGPro will attempt to set Switch 1 before Switch 2.

Now, in SGPro 4.4.1, right-clicking on a switch will show the following options:

The areas highlighted in red show how you can define a delay / ordering for an individual switch. If you don’t check the option to use a custom delay / ordering for a sequence state, the switch will default to using the default state delay. The info below each checkbox will tell you more about that. The default values for delay can be found in the new “Switch Properties” dialog:

Global Switch Settings

These default delay values could be useful in any number of ways, but as an example: Say you have 10 switches that are set to specific, user-defined values at sequence start and nine of these 10 switches have a dependency on the state of Switch 1 having been set, you could define a global, default delay of Start + 20 sec and then, for Switch 1 define a custom delay of Start + 0 sec. When the sequence runs, it will set state for Switch 1 immediately and then, 20 seconds later, set state for the remaining 9. This custom delay configuration only required that you alter two different settings (and not ten).

You can get to these settings by clicking on the gear icon on the top left of the switch list:

Note: Ordering for switches that have the same delay cannot be guranteed, but you can adjust delays by even as little as a tenth of a second to enforce an ordering between switches. e.g. A switch with a delay of Start + 1.1 sec will always be set prior to a switch with a delay of Start + 1.2 sec.

It’s not perfect, but, for most, you’ll be able to tune these delays to the specifics of your rig.

Bugs

A bunch of bugs dealing with how SGPro caches switch data have been addressed. A lot of these bugs may have only been seen with ASCOM DigitalLogger based on how its name changes based on its own internal status.

SGPro 4.4.1 has completely refactored how it refers to switches internally, but it should definitely be more stable. Sequences and Equipment Profiles will be migrated to the new format automatically.

Specifics:

• A bug where SGPro would lock the UI for long-running connection requests to a Switch Device has been corrected.
  • A bug where SGPro would not properly interpret Switch Device state cache for sequence switch states where the parent device is not installed on the current system.
  • Fixed a bunch of bugs related to “Orphaned Switches”. You’ll see the notion of orphaned switches if you move to a new system and uninstall the original driver. SGPro does not delete these but instead adds them as read-only orphan switches so you have a reference.

Hi Ken,

So, if I understand this correctly, I can set a delay of, say 21600 seconds, to get the sequence to start 6 hours later than when the run was initiated? I won’t be able to specify an actual time but I guess I can deal with that. What is the definition of “sequence start”, BTW? I assume it is when SGP goes after the first object in the sequence rather than when “Run Sequence” is clicked, is that right?

Also, can you take a look at the other issue I have where the switches turn off right when the end actions start, before the dome closes and scope parks? I have another topic on that: “Switches turn off unexpectedly”.

Kent

@kentdegroff, one way to get a sequence to start at a certain tine is to add a dummy target as the first target. Don’t give it any coordinates and don’t slew. Set the Start Time to whatever you want. Have it take a single Bias frame at the highest bin so the exposure and download are as fast as possible.

You can then press the “Run Sequence” button anytime before that and it will wait for the specified start time.

It would be possible to use this as a delay, but, keep in mind that one of the very first things going out in the SGPro 4.4.1 maintenance release is the notion of a global start time with options to either do nothing until the start time passes or running a partial start where a few preliminary things like equip connection happen before the “wait period”.

In either case, SGPro will run the equipment startup cycle (connections, etc) to validate that it won’t fail when the start time passes.

Proper delays and ordering for switches can be found in this beta:

Sequence Generator Pro 4.4.1.1350 (BETA) is Released for Test - Releases - Main Sequence Software